What kind of program can I use to show this person that his computer is faster?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricB

Chillin Techie
I upgrade this girlfriend's of my wife (her husband actually) computer.

he had a 500mhz 256 gig machine.

for 300 bucks, I gave him a 1.5 pent 4, 256 ram with a dvd rom and dvd burner (he previously had just a cd burner). I even add his 80 (I made it his my documents folder) gig to the 40 gig that came with the new machine.

as a courtesy I was going to add a 128 mb rambus (the kind that this machine takes) stick, but it wouldn't boot with that (my friend vern lator told me that you have to add rambus stick in pairs)

anyway so he call me and complains that his computer isn't faster. all he ever really did was upload ringtones and burn cd. So I guess he isn't noticing any difference

I know that his computer is way faster now (it took me 90 minutes to reinstall windows on his slow machine which I kept as part of the deal. his new machine only took about 30 minutes) but doesn't seem to notice.

I just added 2 more 256 rambus stick that I got from vern to his machine yesterday, but it only read 128 mb per stick since I can't overclock the processor (it's a dell. dell dimension 8100) and it's mobo can only run the ram at 400 mhz (the ram is kingston pc 800). so he now has 512 ram.

he is crying now saying that he need a gig of ram. they are coming later on today to get the computer

I Don't want to hear his mouth. the only reason that I did the deal at such a cheap price was because his wife is friends with my wife. I did a lot of other stuff too, like installing a bunch of program on it free, when I usually charge for those programs.

I need something to show him the improvement in speed that he got.

maybe something like a benchmarking program or something. something that run aseries of test and reports back the results. something like worldbench from pcworld. please help

Backup everything and reformat :p

I'm just kidding Eric...

Download something like 3DMark or some game and run it, or use Everest to show him that it's faster.

Some people don't even know the difference between a Celeron and a Pentium 4 though. So EricB wants the guy to see that a 1.5Ghz Pentium 4 is faster than a Pentium 3 500 Mhz.

try benchmarks ..
or sandra
and if he donst understand ..
try intsalling some games ... like generals or something like that .. its easy to know the defrince !!

PerformanceTest 6, it's a benchmarking test. If I'm not mistaken, there is a computer baseline similar to his computer, before the upgrade, use that baseline, and run all the PerformanceTest 6 tests, CPU, RAM, CD, HDD, Graphics, it's a great program.

Edit : PerformanceTest 6 From PassMark

I dont' know if i'm allowed to post websites, but pcpitstop.com has a decent program that will test your system and then you can compare the systems you test. You have to register for free, and you get a whole list of tests run. I run it every other month and just see if anything has changed. It'll also give you upgrade suggestions too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom