XP home or Proffessional?

Status
Not open for further replies.
genistas said:
Are you upgrading from an older version of Windows? Home Edition will support upgrades from Windows 98, 98 SE and ME, but not from Windows 95, NT 4.0 Workstation, or Windows 2000 Professional. You can upgrade from Windows 98, 98 SE, Millennium Edition (Me), Windows NT 4.0 Workstation, or Windows 2000 Professional to Windows XP Professional. Also, Pro supports up to two processors, Home doesn't. There are some other features that Pro has that Home doesn't, but I don't think any of them would be relevent for gamers.

As far as speed in concerned, I have never noticed any difference between the two.

By the way what is 2 processors? Is it the new AMD x2 cause I don't want to end up buying HOME and not being able upgrade my CPU.

Dual core processors = two processors.

Home will support up to 2 processors.

If you wanted to upgrade to a quad-core then you'd need Pro, which will "support" up to 32 cores. (Correct me if I'm wrong here....)

I thought pre-SP2 XP Home didn't support dual-core/2 processors. I could be wrong though.

Whatever you do, stay legal if you can. If you want a real OS, its not worth getting the bittorrent version which is locked out of any upgrades or extra software from Microsoft.

beedubaya said:
I thought pre-SP2 XP Home didn't support dual-core/2 processors. I could be wrong though.

Whatever you do, stay legal if you can. If you want a real OS, its not worth getting the bittorrent version which is locked out of any upgrades or extra software from Microsoft.

Well, not exactly. I get updates all the time. XP Pro Corporate has been whitelisted due to problems with huge companies getting WGA problems.

I say Pro, mostly because of the advanced security features.
I paid the extra money when I bought a factory computer to have Pro put on the computer, (then I found my college sells it for $5...)

but besides that, I say go with pro. To me its not that I don't see anything bad about home, although my brother has it and hates it, but I will always purchase the professional editions.

I just upgrade for status.

Therefor I'd get pro, I'm waiting for vista but I'm still skeptical about it, compatiblity issues and such.

who said Home doesnt support dual processors?? it use to be before SP1. but not anymore. I am using X2 AMD, and it shows dual performance graph, same was when I had same windows on my Intel P-4 (Hyperthreaded).

better go with Home, if you arent going to use your pc for development purposes. I run 2 windows in my machine, Home and Pro, and I seldom use Pro as when I have to start using web server developments. else 85% of the time I use Home.

i think that when it says pro supports 2 processors it means two individual processors, like on servers, not like the x2 or core 2 duos. i could be wrong though.

No, dual-core is EXACTLY the same thing has two individual processors. To the operating system they are used exactly the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom