Fan connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isolize

Baseband Member
My case, a ThermalTake Soprano ATX (piano black), has three case fans included. My motherboard, an MSI P965, has a total of three fan connectors on it - one for the CPU fan, one called ''SYS_FAN1", and another called "NB_FAN1". The manual offers no explanation as to what the difference is between these two. Now the case fans all have three plugs on the end. Two power plugs (4-pin, male and female) and one small 3-pin plug. It would fit in the fan connectors on the motherboard. My question is, how do I go about connecting all three? Do I use both the motherboard and PSU connectors on two fans, and just the PSU on the other?

I'd be grateful if you can offer any input on what these motherboard plugs may be for and how I should go about connecting the three fans. I'll post a picture below.

hpim3459copywp6.jpg

This picture shows, from top to bottom, NB_FAN1, the motherboard connector on one of the fans, SYS_FAN1 (to the right), and one of the PSU connectors on a fan cable (larger and closest to the mottom).

Thank you very much in advance!

*EDIT*
I just had a thought. Would it be correct to plug in one of the fans to the motherboard (SYS_FAN1) via the small plug, plug that into the power supply, and then chain the other two fans from the female plug on the fan? That makes a lot of sense to me, because it seems a fan must be connected to the motherboard so that it can be controlled - and if they're all connected to the first one in circuit, would the motherboard not then be able to control all three?

Thanks for the response. So I don't have to connect the fans to the motherboard at all, there's no sort of regulation going on as far as fan speed? Would connecting the fans one to the other and then to the PSU work, as well?

All my fans are connected to the motherboard, that way I would get a regulation.

If it's just connected to the power chord and to no sort of control, it'll just run at w/e speed its meant to run at with no fluctuation.

If anything, I'd suggest to keep the fans dependant on the motherboard or some sort of fan control.

Thanks. So the power load won't be too much with three fans running through the motherboard? It's a 430W PSU using a 20-pin connection.

I have three fans, well two connected through the motherboard and one obviously inside the psu.

I don't think your power load would be too much.

Thank you very much. I get the last component of my build, the processor, within a couple weeks - I'll connect everything then, boot, and come back if I find an issue.

Thanks again!

connecting fans to one another (provided they have Molex In/Outs) will work, BUT they wont be regulated. so they'll run on their full speed, where you have to keep optimal balance between Air In = Air out, so you have to install 3 case fans extra (2 in and 1 out) as there will already a fan on the PSU pushing air out. see you can find the 12v to 7v convertor (in Molex) to slow down the speeds.

or as you have 2 FAN connectors on board, then just use the 2 fans (use the voltage decreaser on OUT) and dont use any on the IN. it will balance the airflow to nearest.

If they're connected only to the motherboard, though, shouldn't the motherboard drivers or packaged software regulate their speeds for me?

if they are connected to motherboard, but they might or might not, as motherboard connectors only can tell you the fan revs, and do not adjust external fans speeds except the fan on the CPU.

check out manufacturer's handbook for that, although i am pretty sure that it wont regulate case fan speeds, but only can take rev measurements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom