High Performance Laptop Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

knorth2

Beta member
Hi. Im buying a new laptop PC for software development, but since there are a few components that I feel I could know more about I was hoping you could help by giving me your opinions on my configuration. The good, the bad etc.

Expectations:
I want a system with high-performance, yet still yield a respectable battery life.
Primary computer, software development, media, some gaming not too demanding.
Windows Vista "Aero" (highest version) capable

I am extremely busy at my work and do not have time for system bottlenecks.

So here is my configuration:
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T7400 (4MB Cache, 2.16GHz, 667MHz FSB)
Genuine Windows XP Professional with Reinstall CD
17 inch Ultrasharp Wide Screen UXGA Display with TrueLife
2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz
200GB 4200rpm SATA Hard Drive
8x CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability
Intel PRO/Wireless 3945 Internal Wireless and Bluetooth
80WHr 9-Cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
256MB ATI Mobility RADEON X1400 HyperMemory
Integrated Sound Blaster Audigy HD Software Edition
Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem
3 Yr Return to Depot Service with 3 Yr Tech Support
Dell Nylon Deluxe Carrying Case
McAfee Security Center w/ VirusScan, Firewall and Privacy, 90-day trial

This carries a price tag of: $2384 (from Dell)

Ok.
My first question: would there be a considerable preformance difference between, 2GB of Shared DDR2 533, and the 2GB of Shared DDR2 667 that I have included. Oh these are both dual channel.

Second question: Is my video card, Vista "Aero" (highest) capable.

Third question: There is an option for a 120GB 5400rpm HDD for less money than the chosen drive. Is there enough of a performance gain to justify not getting the extra 80GB of storage.

Fourth question: is it necessary for my display to be ultrasharp for my uses? what is trueLife, and is it needed for my uses?

And finally: is there anyone here who can give me an educated guess on battery life of this system. not that I expect anyone to, but if someone has a similar machine they may be able to.

I know its a lot to ask but I really dont know, and I need the best I can get. Thanks in advance for all of your assistance.

Any other general comments about my components are always welcomed!

It should be a fast system. Don't buy too much of Dell's warranty; we'll be happy to help you with your system.

Also, Vista Aero's specs haven't been released, but the laptop WILL be able to handle it, no question. Even Dell 1100's handle Vista.

turtile said:
DDR533 and DDR667 will be the exact same speed.

I would pick up the 7200RPM 100GB HD instead.

So there will be no difference in performance between DDR2 at 533MHz, and 667MHz. Why offer the different frequencies?

I would love a 7200RPM HDD but sadly the two mentioned drives were the only ones available on the model, which has everything else I want.

talldude123 said:
It should be a fast system. Don't buy too much of Dell's warranty; we'll be happy to help you with your system.

Also, Vista Aero's specs haven't been released, but the laptop WILL be able to handle it, no question. Even Dell 1100's handle Vista.

Luckily, for a limited time, the extension of the warranty from 1 to 3 years is only $30. It seemed stupid not to upgrade it. I only really want it in case of a hardware failure.

Good to know Vista will be fine, I would hate to have any limitations on my OS because my hardware is not powerful enough.

Thanks

The video is a bit of a bottle neck. The x1400 is in the lower-medium end of dedicated graphics cards. Dell's use hypermemory like you said, meaning that it's not actually a 256mb card, but rather a 64mb card that will use up to another 192mb of system memory when it feels like. That's something to watch out for if you're doing anything video-intensive. I recommend configuring this laptop for your needs. The first option is for graphics, you can selecta 256mb geforce 7600 or radeon x1600. The radeon is more powerful so select that and then copy the specs over otherwise. This machine will be faster, cheaper, and of higher quality. This company also has a ridiculously high rating on resellerratings.com, give them a look.
http://www.avadirect.com/product_details_configurator.asp?PRID=7190

knorth2 said:
So there will be no difference in performance between DDR2 at 533MHz, and 667MHz. Why offer the different frequencies?

Do they charge more for one?

DDR2 667 makes people think their computer is faster than one with DDR2 533.

turtile said:
Do they charge more for one?

DDR2 667 makes people think their computer is faster than one with DDR2 533.

Yes. There is a small price difference between them. Not a ton though.

Why is it that DDR2 667 is not faster if its frequency is higher. Or is it higher, just not enough to really make a noticable difference in performance?

oh, btw if anyone has an answer to my screen question from the original post I would really appreciate the info...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom