My PQI Turbo DDR2 800 is &*@!$'d I think

Status
Not open for further replies.

BennyV04988

Fully Optimized
Hey,

Oblivion, Fable, Battlefield 2, etc all crash within 20 min of starting to play. I think my ram is messed. Prime95 cant make it past 8 minutes either. I get the BSOD a lot. Im going to boot a ram test right now. :confused:

my boot disk didnt work...I still think its my ram though. I'll ask newegg what i can get done so that im not left without ram for a week during an RMA lol.

Assuming you're not trying to overclock anything (of course) It could be any of ram/cpu/video (most probably) overheating problem.
How come you're so confident it's Ram?

Well...games crash...and prime95 isnt table. EVGA wants me to RMA the 7900GT. I think my processor is running fine becuse everything is stock. If I turn up the Vcore it just gets hot. I want to get a bunch of aftermarket stuff like AS5 and a copper hsf and all, maybe even a 2nd gig of ram. I am in one sticky situation though....No matter what I do, im without a working pc for at least a week. I think I need to order a new gpu and ram and when they get here, refund the originals.

hey...I just checked out my BIOS and my ram was running at 5-5-5-18 instead of 5-5-5-15...could that have been the problem???

Benny, I don't know what your computer skills are.
But have you even opened your PC?
Instead of risking wasting your money and/or time - you need to diagnose a prolem, Isolet the problematic component, and then you will 100% know what to do (either replace, or reinstall..)

You said that your computers goes to BSOD only when it's performing cpu/gpu intensive task , right?
To clarify this, answer this question:
Does your computer goes to BSOD, when you jut live it open, and do notheing? or use office and internet (but no games)?
If it doesn't but but does only in games and testing - Than it's crearly overheating problem.

To diagnose this problem:
run your games, untill you see BSOD, than quickly open the computer, and touch with your finger CPU/RAM/VIDEO heatsinks.

NOw I won't get into complicated temperature calculations,etc.
The basic golden rule in electronics - is that you [/b] MUST BE ABLE TO TOUCH AND KEEP [/b] your finger on any part for at lest 10 seconds. If you can't keep your finger , or can't even touch something - IT IS OVERHEATING

junglemike said:
Benny, I don't know what your computer skills are.
But have you even opened your PC?
Instead of risking wasting your money and/or time - you need to diagnose a prolem, Isolet the problematic component, and then you will 100% know what to do (either replace, or reinstall..)

You said that your computers goes to BSOD only when it's performing cpu/gpu intensive task , right?
To clarify this, answer this question:
Does your computer goes to BSOD, when you jut live it open, and do notheing? or use office and internet (but no games)?
If it doesn't but but does only in games and testing - Than it's crearly overheating problem.

To diagnose this problem:
run your games, untill you see BSOD, than quickly open the computer, and touch with your finger CPU/RAM/VIDEO heatsinks.

NOw I won't get into complicated temperature calculations,etc.
The basic golden rule in electronics - is that you
MUST BE ABLE TO TOUCH AND KEEP [/b] your finger on any part for at lest 10 seconds. If you can't keep your finger , or can't even touch something - IT IS OVERHEATING [/B]

First of all I built the **** thing...

I didn't get the BSOD very often. I watch my CPU temps, gpu temps, and mb temps constanlty right on my desktop. As well as my Vcore. I'm no amature. It was my RAM timings. I just ran Prime95 and it passed the first few test, unlike before. It's stable now and was simply my BOIS/RAM not cooperating with each other. After that problem was gone, I had my system OC'd up to 2.5GHz. I dropped the ram back to 667 because I couldn't find a clear cut "divider". It ran faaaast as **** but it wouldn't let me restart the system. It just beeped at me. I know it can handle 2.4GHz with decent temps, and at stock/ if not 1 notch up on the voltage, but the RAM settings and HT must need more tweaking it to pass the BIOS and allow it boot repeatedly. ( I dropped the HT down to 4 from 5 to keep the HTT under 1000...but the RAM needs more tweaking)

Any tips??? I'd like to hit 2.4GHz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom