computer setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

dafunkmon

Baseband Member
hey i have a sony vaio minitower and im keeping my hard drive and optical drives and my floppy so i wanted to get a motherboard that was compatible with my 5 year old components but still be able to have a fast processor, lots of system ram and an updated video card...
video card
motherboard
memory
processor
power supply
this is all budget but and not much of it is brand name but i just needed a cheap upgrade and also i wanted amd but i chose intel.

ok how bout this
motherboard
processor
memory
video card
power
so is a dual processor amd better than a intel dual processor? and why are the dual processors for intel running at 1.8 to 2.6 ghz? is that bad to buy a 1.8 ghz dual processor? can someone explain to me the amd processing speeds, why are they slower and why are they better?

AMD chips have slower clocks, but they execute more instructions per clock. I'm not REAL clear on all the technicalities behind it, but I know that a 2.8 GHz AMD processor blows a 2.8 GHz Intel processor right out of the water.
Think of it this way: (and sorry if my information is bad, this is just an off-scale example) say you're opening a web page, opening your email, and opening a game of 3D pinball. With an Intel processor, it would have to do each of these tasks individually, but an AMD processor with the same speed could do all three tasks at once. Thats why AMD is better, even at lower clocks.
Actually, if that confused you, then disregard it totally. I think I even confused myself........ *????* Wait till' one of the smart people comes along and confirms it.

lazer_viking said:
AMD chips have slower clocks, but they execute more instructions per clock. I'm not REAL clear on all the technicalities behind it, but I know that a 2.8 GHz AMD processor blows a 2.8 GHz Intel processor right out of the water.
Think of it this way: (and sorry if my information is bad, this is just an off-scale example) say you're opening a web page, opening your email, and opening a game of 3D pinball. With an Intel processor, it would have to do each of these tasks individually, but an AMD processor with the same speed could do all three tasks at once. Thats why AMD is better, even at lower clocks.
Actually, if that confused you, then disregard it totally. I think I even confused myself........ *????* Wait till' one of the smart people comes along and confirms it.

Its right but he may not understand i'll try to make it easier for him.

Intel does have shorter clock speeds so it does less per clock cycle.
Amd has a longer clock cycle which allows it to do a few things per clock cycle

Its like this:
intel 2.8 ghz, AMD 64 2800+
Truck A = intel, Truck B = AMD
There both taking loads of fill dirt to places which are the same distance. However Truck A can only carry 10lbs at a time but he travels at 100MPH. Truck B can carry 100lbs but it can only travel at 10mhp. They both end up getting done at the same time.

Hope you understand it better if u didn't understand it. That thing about hte trucks is how i learned and i think its hte best way to show which one is going

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom