6000 files gone - please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

nortonsucks

Beta member
Hey eveyone and thanks for such a great forum.
My problem:
I have windows xp with 2 extra hard drives [my main is c: of course, my 2nd is d: my 3rd is f:] that act as storage only.
I installed norton system works with all features and have run cleanup once!

Now on my main drive everything is fine.
On my F drive everything is fine.
But on my D: drive i have 4 folders. 3 of them are intact and files available.
But in my 4th folder, I can not see my mp3s.
There were just under 6000 in here.

Looking at the drive itself, it says it is full, which it was since i'm almost at 40 gigs capacity.
But when i go inside the folder that held my mp3s it says "0" files.
Yet the drive says they are there. Yknowwhat I mean?
Can anyone help.
I've since only uninstalled norton completely.
Ive done nothing to my drive D.

These mp3s are so important, they are alot of old music that I can not lose. PLEASE.
Anyone that knows of this problem or a fix, could you help a guy out?

I've heard systemworks is not great vs windows XP, and it does some strange things once installed with your folders.
When I had it installed, it kept saying "disk initialization error on drive D".
Now that i uninstalled, that's gone away but my mp3s are still "invisibile".
Please help.

ok mr coffee. thanks for such a quick response dude.
illl try this first.
just wondering how do i do that?
through start>run command?
and will this in anyway mess with those mp3s?
i cant lose them. :angry:

or is it just checking the disk?
thanks for any help.

checks for and corrects filesystem errors. If your files are there but not showing up it could e a filesystem corruption.

if you're not comfortable with the command line then right click on the drive > properties > tools > error checking > check now (tick both boxes > reboot

Just makin sure, you've probably already tried this but you did check to see if the files werent for some reason marked as hidden right? Maybe norton did some weird stuff and made em hidden for some reason...

thanks guys for trying to help out.
yeh i find out about norton goofing with certain files AFTER i installed it, and have this problem.

its weird as i said, because the space is being taking up by something on my d drive.
every other folder is accessible on d drive, and readable.
but the mp3 folder is empty when you open it.
at the same time, around 30 gigs is being taking up by those "invisible files".

mrcoffee- i ran the check disk, by right clicking on the drive and checking both boxes etc ... it started saying phase 1, took a little while, then said windows couldn't complete the check.

wow. never will I use norton again.
these files are here, yet they aren't. :amazed: :(

Are you sure they're not hidden? If anything, you might still be able to recover the files but it's no guarantee that you will be able to get all of it back.

nortonsucks said:

mrcoffee- i ran the check disk, by right clicking on the drive and checking both boxes etc ... it started saying phase 1, took a little while, then said windows couldn't complete the check.

to me thats implies that there is a problem, try running this command chkdsk d: /x /r from CMD

Have you checked with Norton's Unerase Wizard?

Because Norton doesn't totally delete files, it leaves them in the recycle bin first, then deletes them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom