Slow SCSI

Status
Not open for further replies.

RGELLIS

In Runtime
Hi, i have 2 SCSI Hard Drives an an Adaptec AHA-2940UW PCI SCSI Controller, the drives are a Compaq BB00921B91 3B05, and a Fujitsu M2949Q-512 0153 both 9.1GB.

I decided that I had better HD Tach them, and i got results of around 9-10mb/s which is awfully slow, slower than my £30 80GB IDE Maxtor, and my 200GB Seagate 7200.9! Is there any explanation for this, or are these drives just a bit crap? They have come out of a full time NT 4.0 Server. I have a DPT SCSI controller, would they be quicker on that which is what they were originally on. Although HD Tach could be lying as my Maxtor was 116.3MB\s and the Seagate was 93.7MB/s and a friends 2 SATA drives were only 57MB/s ish.

Any light shed on this is a great help

Ruan

Yeh, one is about 8 years old, the other is about 4 years old. They should at least be quicker than what its reading at the moment, they used to be in a server that at one time served 60 machines so they cant be THAT bad!

One thing I did notice was I restarted it, when the Compaq drive span up, it sounded odd and was fluctuating then gave an error along the lines of "Start up bit failure on drive" and then carried on, so one drive could be broken, but i just tested the fujitsu on its own, and it got 11mb/s :(. So anyone else have any ideas, or should i ebay round?

Ruan

Scsi Ultra II is slow as heck compared to modern IDE...
But if its being that slow (not atleast 25MB/s)
It points to one of three things

check the drive's sustained data transfer rate online.
Make sure you have the latest Drivers for the 2940U2w
too tierd to explain the third.. But SCSII Ultra II's aren't worth it anymore (other than you can put 14 on the same channel) .. beleive me I have 1tb worth of em :|

oh .. One more thing

Check the U2W's bios to make sure they aren't sync'ed to 10MB/s or anything.

I have checked the BIOS and they are synced to 40MB/s, and I really dont know whats going on, unless the drives just really are that crap!

Ruan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom