Ahhhhhhhh!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pullyalater

Baseband Member
was replacing my am and the TT blue orb blocks the slots so i removed it... the proc came too.... eveything looks to be okay, but im going to have to re-seat the proc and i cant get it off of the heatsink =( HELP!!!@!@!
on my way to wallmart for some goof off and prop-alcohol
:mad:

Be careful with using chemicals to remove it. You may damage the processor.

Do you have a putty knife? For like applying sheetrock mud to a sheetrock wall?

If you do, clean it really well (or buy a new one, they're cheap) and slowly insert it and twist a little between the HSF and the CPU. Be careful not to bend any pins on the CPU.

And let this be a reminder to always heat up the HSF before you remove it, and to not use so much thermal paste. :p

yea its arctic silver thermal paste... guess im gonna havta heat er up... =( and go get the right stuff(as5) god im a dumba5s!

Thermal PASTE is what you want. Thermal ADHESIVE is what you DON'T want. Thermal adhesive is used to secure RAM sinks to memory banks.

its done

i got it off yesterday, had to heat it up, and it popped off. got it back in my system with as5 now and am running 2.85-9 GHz easy. used oops remover on the heat spreader of the cpu only... had to in order to get the adhesive off. used isoproplyene alcohol to clean up. if it was ceramic die i would have been SOL but the heat spreader saved my 4400x2 =)
the actual processor heat spreader took a bit of a beating/scratching but it is running cooler than ever. oo and i swapped that POS TTblue orb II for a Zalman CNPS9500 and da[]v[]n is is cooler by like 5° C!!

thanks for the help guys

My P4 CPU has been doing the same thing. When I bought the heatsink, the CPU was idling at 80C with that purple pad. I removed it and used thermal paste, which is what you would normally use.

Any other things is to take off or not to buy.
Also, thermal paste has dropped my CPU from 80C to 49C.

Scratching the surface will decrease the surface bond between the die and the HSF. Hopefully you didn't scratch it too much. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom