Please help: monitor slow

Status
Not open for further replies.
wait, is the MONITOR taking awhile to come on or is the COMPUTER taking that long to post... there is a HUGE difference, do you ever see anything like a DMI pooling error?

It is the computer taking that long to POST. No DMI errors or anything. Once it starts to come on, it's just like nothing was wrong. Could it be the CMOS battery is about to die?

Its a possibility, but doubt it. If that was the case, you would be prompted to enter the bios every reboot. More than likely, there is either trouble with one of the periphs OR a bad bios setting. Best thing to do is either try booting with bare components (no cdrom drive, floppy drive, basically just the vid card, hdd, memory, processor and kbd (prefer the kbd and mouse to be ps2 type). If it boots add back in one by one, until the problem happens again. This will find the problem hardware. I've seen this happen often with floppy drives and cdrom/dvd. However, DO THIS FIRST. Clear the NVRAM (best to do by jumper) and also disable any sort of bios virus scanning if the mbd supports it. see if this does it. Now this is assuming that it takes forever for the bios beep, and that it doesn't lock up like this AFTER the beep.

I unplugged everything and still the same. Then I unplugged the hdd to see if it was that and still nothing. The only thing left plugged in was the memory and the vid card. I was talking to someone at a local computer shop and they said to check the processor. They said that if the processor is crapping out that it's possible for this to happen. Do you think this is true or is he just trying to sell me something?

Its possible, but again doubtful. If the processor was at fault you would have all kinds of errors in windows. I would suggest clearing the NVRAM then rebooting, also if you have 2 sticks of ram try one then the other to see if one of them is causing a problem. Remember to check in the bios as well to see if there is any sort of MBR virus scanning going on and disable it. To let you know, when you clear the NVRAM, it should boot to something similar to "BIOS reset by jumper", you then shut down, reset the jumper to normal, boot up again and it should prompt you to enter the bios. Detect everything again in there, set the MBR scanning to disabled, save and exit. See how it boots up then.

I tried clearing the CMOS but still nothing. I tried swapping the RAM around and even tried just one at a time but still nothing. This motherboard supports DDR and SDRAM and I tried it with both (not at the same time obviously) but that didnt work either. I was wondering if maybe the mobo was grounding to the case? The next thing i'm gonna try is taking it out and running it out of the case to see if thats it. Also, I was told to take the CMOS battery out and leave it out for like 12 to 24 hours and see if that works so i'll do that. When I cleared it this last time, I just used the jumper setting so maybe this will do something. I'll post again when I finish.

and clearing nvram via jumper essentially does the same thing. It is possible it could be grounding to the case, try running it outside and see what happens. most of the time when a mbd is grounding to the case though, it causes power failure, but try and see. Have you been able to get into the bios at all? You may want to try and flash the bios. Try pushing del or f1 or whatever key until you get there and wait for a screen. At that point check a few things. Make sure silent boot is disabled, have it show all bios info on startup, and disable any bios anti virus stuff. Also, how does the system run once it does power up?

killians45 said:
how does the system run once it does power up?

Well, it won't start up at all now. It used to start up after about 10 or 15 minutes. When it got into Windows, it would run ok sometimes, but then I would get a lot of error messages and it would freeze and I would have to push the reset button. Some of the errors would be "the blue screen of death" and others were stuff like things not responing, and that message that says something like "program has recovered from a critical error" and gives you the choice to send or not to Microsoft. Now, it doesnt start up at all. The processor fan spins and that's it. No response from anything at all. No POST or error beeps or anything. I had it on for over an hour yesterday and it did nothing. Now i'm even more clueless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom