MemTest86

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trotter

Grandfather of Techist, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
Ok, I'm running MemTest while I'm at work to make sure my RAM is stable before I format.

What I need to know is how to use what it says. i let it run earlier, and when I checked it a few hours later I had a screen full of symbols.

Memtest cycles through I think 9 or 10 different tests that basically stress the memory in a number of ways by applying different patterns to every physical address area on your RAM...test 7 is really what you're after for stability which is random number sequences

Reading it should be fairly straightforward, the top area displays basic information and what the test is doing, and the bottom half will list any errors that may come up and where they occur. Overall, you want memtest to pass, if it doesn't pass, you have errors. Obviously if the bottom half of your screen gets filled with red indications of when and where the error occured

Do note that memest stable does not equate to windows stable, memtest can cycle for hours and be fine but crashes immediately in windows. Memtest should just be prilimary testing to rule out ram issues, then you should test in prime95 or something similar

Even then it would probably be better to manually set most if not all memory settings, for example defaults for me would result in BSODs since 2.5cas + 2.6vddr = BSOD. Specifically max async latency and vddr don't go together nicely

What you mean symbols?? You 100% sure it loaded correctly??? I know sometimes if you load from floppy that it won't load correctly and it will repeat certain digits over and over....

Well, I got home from work and it showed no errors, but it also showed that it ran for 32 minutes. It seemed to be stalled or hung.

I restarted it and set it to run test #9. So I guess I'll see what it says later.

Well, according to MemTest I'm good.

I'm thinking that is is where Windows got screwed is what is causing my errors and BSoD's.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about:

This on a fully updated copy of Windows.

I'm going to try to reinstall the updates, but I have little hope. I'll probably reformat this weekend or early next week.

Well, all of them did reinstall... except for any that have to do with Internet Explorer. IE7 totally screwed the pooch.

Still can't log in with BF2, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom