Ati drivers aren't installing

Status
Not open for further replies.

tump13b

Beta member
Hey, so i've just formatted to xp64bit proffessional, and I try to install my video card drivers, the latest radeon drivers are CATALYST 6.8, but when installing them, it extracts the files, opens up the big ati window, and then says "Unable to load ATICIM.DLL",
so i click on OK and it carries on.

I click that I've read the terms and conditions etc, then when it asks for either a typical or custom install:
If i click on typical, the whole thing just closes.
If i click on custom, it gives me the error "Setup failed to run installation: (0x80040702)."

I googled the problem, and other people seem to have similar problems, and they said that a strange way to fix it is to simply create a folder called 'Desktop' in c/documents and settings/all users, and then everyone said it worked, problem is, i already have a 'desktop' folder there, if i move it somewhere else then i get another error all together.

I've tried catalyst 6.7 and 6.5 (6.5 used to work for me) and the omega 6.7 and 6.5, all those gave me a different error.

amd athlon64 3400+
ati radeon 9800 Pro 128mb
abit kv8 pro motherboard
1 gig ram

Thanks so much for any replys im desperate now

Yeah it's definetely the right one, and i've used x64 before and prefer it.

Now i've read somewhere, that someone could only install the drivers, after they'd installed standard vga drivers, thing is i can't find them!

I've looked everywhere, when windows tells me i have a new device and all that it doesn't ever find new drivers, i've checked the windows disk too. When i first installed this fresh os it had standard vga graphics, and i uninstalled them so i could install the catalyst ones.
Thanks

EDIT! ok i've solved my problem. For anybody with the same problem...

I read somebody else say that they could install the drivers through device manager, but it wouldn't install the CCC.

So just go to device manager, double click on the video adapter, go on drivers, go on update driver, and then go to where you find it yourself, and go to the folder

"6-8_xp64_dd_ccc_35180\Driver\XP6A_INF" after unpacking the download from ati. And it will install sweet. I guess it won't work if you want the CCC though according to what that other person said!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom