e6300 Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

uthscsa19

Baseband Member
This is my third of fourth build that I've proposed, but I'm really trying to stay on budget and get the best components for my build. I will be purchasing in about two weeks, but I am taking the time to make changes and do some reading before building.

Before asking questions, I will post my build:

Main Uses:
1. World of Warcraft
2. Music/Video storage/playback
3. Photo editing
4. 3ds Max

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB Serial ATA II 7200RPM Hard Drive w/16MB Buffer $77.60

Coolermaster CAC-T05-UW Centurion 5 Mid Tower Case (Silver) Retail $59.99

NEC ND-3550A 16X Double Layer DVD±RW Drive (Black) OEM $38.49

Antec SmartPower 2.0 SP-500 500W Power Supply Retail $68.99

MSI NX7900GT-VT2D256E HD GeForce 7900 GT PCI Express 256MB DDR3 Video Card w/Dual DVI, VIVO & HDTV-Out Retail $275.99

Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 P965 Express Core 2 Extreme/Core 2 Duo 1066FSB LGA775 DDR2 ATX Motherboard w/Audio, Gigabit LAN, RAID/Serial ATA Retail $151.99

Intel® Core 2 Duo E6300 Conroe Processor 1.86GHz, 1066FSB, LGA775, 2MB Cache Retail $190.00

OCZ OCZ2G8002GK 2GB Kit DDR2-800 PC2-6400 Gold Gamer eXtreme XTC Edition Dual Channel Memory Retail $239.50

Total: $1102 shipped through ZipZoomFly (can't do Newegg since I live in TN)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. First, I plan on overclocking this. How high can you overclock this processor on air as I've outlined?

2. Does someone have a guide to overclocking these processors. I need a guide that covers the basics, since I've never overclocked a processor that much.

3. Does the motherboard a descent overclocking motherboard? I know its probably not the best, but is it ok?

4. Anyone overclocked with the Ram I've chosen? Does it do well?

5. Does the 7900GT overclock nicely?

6. I considered getting 2 160gb or 250gb hard-drives, and running them in Raid0, but I've seen conflicting posts. Some say its a big difference, and some say its not worth the cost. Which is true, and in what situations would it be worth it?

I know this is abit long, and I have alot of questions, but this computer will be my main computer for awhile, and I want to get the best I can with my budget.

Thanks.

if you're going to get that mobo, yea, i think it has a good overclocking potential.

about RAID, i dont know...people here will say many different things about it as you might expect but as for me, I like my comp nice and simple, cuz RAID does complicate things a little bit for noobs.

i could help you out with OC'ing if it was an amd 64, but yours is a conroe, and should be a fair amount simpler to overclock.

well, there's my $0.02

Hey man, i have a similar build ( different case/psu). I'm looking at the ASUS P5B ATX LGA775 Conroe 965P . Do you know anything about it.

Conroes are overclocking nicely, especially the 6300 and 6400, so you should be fine with that. High-quality OCZ ram OCs very nicely, so you should be ok.

Overall, very nice build for that money. Apparent you did your research unlike 99% of the people who post once and don't know a computer is.

supra_chubs04 said:
Hey man, i have a similar build ( different case/psu). I'm looking at the ASUS P5B ATX LGA775 Conroe 965P . Do you know anything about it.

I read some posts that said there was some fault with this board, but I wasn't really sure it was real. I haven't read anything negative about the board I chose, so I went with it.

How important is a CPU cooler for overclocking? When overclocked, do these processors get extremely hot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom