Why is my PC always at 100% under task manager?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acoustic5679

Baseband Member
I have tried everything I know. I recently dbaned (http://dban.sourceforge.net/) my PC so I haven't had a lot of time to aquire spyware and other crap from the internet. For some reason it is extremely low on memory/resources. When I open up task manager and nothing is running the system idle jumps speratically from 20-100% and when ever I run a memory hungry program (DVDshrink) the process will run at 100 the whole time and always crash the program when the disk is about 40% done because of no memory. Also when running dvdshrink, the commit charge keeps going up and up into the upper 1200's before the program crashes. besides that, opening folders, running other progz.. its all way to slow and sluggish.
I have ran Mcaffee 2006, Norton 2006, ad-aware, registry fixer, and 2 different spy ware programs and have found nothing that fixes it. I have a 512 ram, xp sp2, pentium 4 2.4, and a geforce Ti4200. I have never had this problem before as I ran multiple editing programs while this dvdshrink was going on. I don't think its dvdshrink because any program that I open jumps my resources to 100%. I built this computer and have a decent understanding of PC's, but this one eludes me... Any suggestions?

Well..for start you should follow this helpful guide by Warez Monster at this link

Do you really have two of the most system resource hog running at the same time, I'm referring to McAfee and Norton? You might want to check out which application either in the foreground or background that is using the most resource. Task manager can do that for you, just keep an eye on it, you can list the process in order from highest CPU usage or highest mem usage.

I was able to figure some similar problem just using TM, ended being the spool process lagging the system, just had to kill it.

I erased Mcafee before I installed Norton. I have Norton on there still. Well, when no programs are running sytem idle is always int he upper 90-100% (Is that usual?) But when ever I run any program from MS paint to something like dvdshrink, the process is up to 90%. you have link to this TM thing?

I will do what warez's list says tonight. I apologize, I should have looked that up before posting... Thanks for your help..

System idle process almost always is near 100%. I think it is because it will show how much of the current CPU usage (total, in the bottom of Task Manager) that System Idle is using. Say the total is 2% and system idle is 98%, then System idle is using 98% of the 2%. Make sense? Also system idle normally uses about 16k of cpu.

Ok, thats what I thought. Well I will have to do everything the warez list says and then see. If all else I will just dban the hardrive again and save all the important stuff on the other HD. Thanks.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 4:16:26 PM, on 9/7/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logitech\Bluetooth\LBTSERV.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\Gmail Notifier\gnotify.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Mixer.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Lavasoft\AD-AWA~1\Ad-Watch.exe
C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\BTTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Logitech\SetPoint\SetPoint.exe
C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\bin\btwdins.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logitech\KhalShared\KHALMNPR.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\WIDCOMM\BLUETO~1\BTSTAC~1.EXE
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgupsvc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgamsvr.exe
C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG7\avgcc.exe
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\Rar$EX04.425\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://google.com/
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Int
ernet Settings,AutoConfigURL = 63.163.44.223
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AWMON] "C:\PROGRA~1\Lavasoft\AD-AWA~1\Ad-Watch.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSConfig] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\MSConfig.exe /auto
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [{0228e555-4f9c-4e35-a3ec-b109a192b4c2}] C:\Program Files\Google\Gmail Notifier\gnotify.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [C-Media Mixer] Mixer.exe /startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VSOCheckTask] "C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\VSO\mcmnhdlr.exe" /checktask
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VirusScan Online] C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\VSO\mcvsshld.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [OASClnt] C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\VSO\oasclnt.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCAgentExe] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCUpdateExe] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcupdate.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [RegClean Expert Scheduler] "C:\Program Files\Registry Clean Expert\RCScheduler.exe" /startup
O4 - Global Startup: Bluetooth.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Logitech SetPoint.lnk = ?

I did everything warez's list said to do. I still get the same results. I think I will dban again. I just did it last week so I don't have much I would lose. If anyone has any other suggestions let me know thanks guys...

What is the best protection to always have on the PC in peoples opinion?

U have AVG, Adaware, and Spybot running at startup. Is this a good combo?

PEOPLE!!!

System Idle is just that... what percentage of your system is idle (not doing anything)!!!

System Idle plus whatever is going on in processes always equals 100%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom