Comp now turns on but repeatedly beeps

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTalent

Baseband Member
well I finally got around to getting my new PSU. I picked up a Enermax liberty 400W. With it installed my computer will now fully turn on with case fans and all. About 3 seconds into the startup my motherboard speaker makes a very fast beeping sound that repeats forever. I have my system only running on the mobo, vid card, 1 stick of ram, and the hard drive. I have reset my vid card many times and switched out my ram and I am still getting the same resluts. All of my ide cables are plugged in correctly and the same with the power. Any Ideas guys?

I also use a grounding wrist band when working with my computer.

The continuous beeping generally indicates a memory error, either it's totally dead or not seated properly. Try reseating it or with a different stick. Sometimes (kinda rare but worth a try) it instead indicates a video error. Maybe try a different vid card but it's usually the memory.

if this beeping has specific pattern - you can try to identify the exact problem. google "bios error codes", and add your bios manufacturer (for example: Award bios)

Thanks for the input guys. Junglemike, there is no pattern. The beeping is very fast and continues forever. I had looked up the bios error codes for my board and it also said a memory problem. Guess I will be getting some new sticks today. I had just bought this ram a few months ago aswell 8(

Your initial post says:
well I finally got around to getting my new PSU. I picked up a Enermax liberty 400W.
Is I understand - you just replaced the PSU.
1) why did you do that? Was it wrong? If it was, how do you know it's psu and not another part?
2) If you replace it just to upgrade to *better* psu, do you have the old one? can you put it and see if it works.

Guess I will be getting some new sticks today.
Judging from your initial post, and supposing that you replaced only PSU - most chanced you are going to waste your money in vain.
You must identify the problem fist, and only then buy a new parts.

Very true mike. My PSU was the horrible one that came with the case but in the end it did not work. The PSU wouldent give any power to my comp what so ever inside or when outside of the case not hooked up. After replacing it everything powers up like a charm.

I now know there is something else wrong but the PSU had to be replaced aswell. I also tried hooking up my old PSU to the computer I have at work and I got the same resluts. Thats when I went to get a new one. And I wish I had a friend or 2 around but they are all off at college so I can't borrow any ram or vid cards. Thanks for your help Junglemike. I need as much as I can get at the moment.

Take out the RAM modules and blow out the DIMM sockets with compressed air. Blow off all the pins on the RAM module too.

I got a bunch of dust in one of my DIMM sockets once, and it did the same thing you are describing.

If you have more than one RAM stick, try one at a time, and try all the DIMM sockets.

Very true mike. My PSU was the horrible one that came with the case but in the end it did not work. The PSU wouldent give any power to my comp what so ever inside or when outside of the case not hooked up. After replacing it everything powers up like a charm.

I now know there is something else wrong but the PSU had to be replaced aswell. I also tried hooking up my old PSU to the computer I have at work and I got the same resluts. Thats when I went to get a new one. And I wish I had a friend or 2 around but they are all off at college so I can't borrow any ram or vid cards. Thanks for your help Junglemike. I need as much as I can get at the moment.
I see. So everything started when PSU broke down?
Than you replace psu, and got this beeping?
And your computer didn't work even 1 second after initial psu brakedown? right?

The thing is , that when psu fails - it is very dangerous situation, b/c it can do a lot of harm, even fry everything inside the computer.

PSU uses Ac-Dc swithcing regulaton technology to produce regulated ouptut (3.3v, 5v, 12v.) Normally it has overvoltage protection. But when PSU fails - many things inside it can go wrong , including overvoltage protection.
As a result, sometimes breaking down PSU in it's last seconds can encrease the voltage(s) segnificantly, and burn down everything on it's way.

First thing that is prone to this sort of damages - is motherboard.
This is what I would do in this situation:
1) I would double check everything, as CrazeD suggested, unplug/replug, ide cables/ram/cpu/pci cards.
2) Find a working donor computer with compatible parts - so you could test cpu/ram/video (everything except mobo)
3) Last option - go to any computr store, and ask them to dagnose yur computer, this should cost you some small amount of money.
hope this helps.

Thank you guys for all of the great advice, I can't say it enough. I am off to work now but I will recheck everything when I get home. Like I said, I will not be able to find a donor computer because all of my friends are off at college. I guess I am gonna have to get it checked out at my comp store if I can't figure it out on my own. Thanks again!

If you want to test the memory just buy a stick at a retail store and you can return it when you're done using it and buy a replacement (if needed) online. I did that when I had to rma my corsair twinx sticks, just picked up 2x256mb kingstons from my work and used them until I got my memory back, then returned them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom