Partitioning and Moving files.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silent_Joka

In Runtime
I was wondering if there is a way I can partition my harddrive, 80GB Western Digital, to where my OS is on it's own partition, so I can copy that to a 10GB Western Digital drive and slave my 80GB, I was wondering if there was a program I can use to do so? Will I have to uninstall and reinstall all of my programs when on the slave drive for them to work correctly. Also, what files/folders do I keep on the 10GB partition to where Windows will be going to, so I can copy that partition to my 10GB HDD? Thanks for the help. :-D Jeremiah.

You are saying there is currently an OS on the 80GB WD which you want to transfer over to that 10GB WD? There will not be an easy way to do it..you cant simply copy all the data over to the drive..it wont boot. You need to capture all the boot sector and all that crap.

So what you could do is use partition magic to partition to repartition your 80GB HD as needed..it will be a tough one though..I need to see what the best approach would be..but I need to know how much space is left on the 80GB HD and how much have you used?

Once its all partitioned right you can use something like norton ghost to simply "clone" the C:\ partition to that 10GB HD and it will boot to that new drive no problem if its in this same PC that is. It wont boot in another PC.

My 80GB HDD is using 19GB. It is partitioned in to 2, C: is using 11.5GB and Z: is using 7.5GB, and I have XXCopy, will I be able to clone the partition with that, instead of using Norton Ghost?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom