first upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

goc305

Solid State Member
Hi everyone, I am new to all of this, and am going to upgrade an old computer for practice(in anticipation of first real build). My first question is, as long as a cpu is a socket A, will it fit in any socket A motherboard? the motherboard in question is this: http://www.msicomputer.com/product/detail_spec/K7Tturbo2.htm , and i want to replace with the best amd cpu possible. what else beside socket type do I need to look for? thanks in advance for your help, i am sure there will be more questions as i get further into this...

Any socket A will fit, but will only be able to operate up to a FSB of 266 (which is a 2400+ I think).

I see it has an AGP slot. You can make that into a decent media computer that can handle light gaming.

awesome! it has a Nvidia Riva Tnt2 64 video card in it. should I replace that as well?

Oooh... can we say ancient?

Upgrading the card would be a good idea. Any AGP card will work, but only at x4. Go with what your budget can handle.

ok, so i took the heat sink off, and the sticker on it says 950mhz. Surely this heat sink will work on the new amd pcu, right?

ok, i ordered, received and replaced the amd athlon with an amd duron 1.8. everything seems to be working fine, however, at startup, its says, "CPU - unknown, 1.345 mhz" why would it not be at 1.8, and if so, what should I do to get it there. thanks. G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom