Strange Computer Startup Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

halmotors

Solid State Member
I'm having trouble with my gf's computer during startup...after pressing the button, the computer starts up normally, but nothing is going to the monitor. The little green light keeps blinking. The computer is started up completely, and I can't seem to see anything wrong with it. I tried replacing the video card, but to no avail, and all the cables inside the case are plugged into their proper slots. It's got a 450w power supply in it, so I don't think it's a power issue. It was a secondhand computer we bought from a friend, and it's a Gateway gaming computer. We've never had a problem like this before, so of course we're a bit stymied over it.

Any thoughts?

Hello,

During Power On Self Test (when the PC initializes and detects hardware) do you see any text on screen?

If you have Windows XP, power up the PC, and just before the operating system loading splash screen, hit F8 on the keyboard, and select to boot with Enable VGA Mode. This should, if the monitor is working correctly, force your display to the lowest resolution, refresh rate and color depth.

Thanks for replying, Alvin. When I start up the computer, I see nothing on the screen at all. The screen acts like it is not getting any signal at all. I tried pressing and holding down F8 like you suggested, but it was to no avail.

I tried popping out the CMOS battery, but it didn't work. And I tried the monitor on my computer, and it worked just fine, so I'm kind of at a loss right now. I suppose it could potentially be a motherboard issue?

To diagnose your problem:
unplug/remove everything except absolute necessary for boot:
(network/modem/audio/lan/hdd/fd/cd/.....)
live just 4 things: mobo (of course),cpu,ram,video.
Also, if you have more than 1 stick of ram, Try one, than try another.
If computer boots up (you can see some text) - start adding back hardware oen by one,untill you find a problem

If computer still doesn't boot up - you have problem in eiher of these: mobo/cpu/video/ram/psu.
For futher diagnostic you need another working computer to test (and rule out) parts, or you need to go to some place to fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom