Network Interface Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

IF06

In Runtime
What exactly is the purpose of installing one, isn't there an integrated version on my motherboard where I already have my modem plugged through?

What's the benefit of having an indepedant network card?

And if there is significant amount of benefits, what's a good card to buy?

If there is integreated ethernet on your motherboard (NIC), then there is no reason to install a PCI Network Interface Card. It's faster to use the one on the motherboard, because it doesn't have to travel through the PCI slots -> Motherboard -> PC. It's alaredy there.

The reason these card are around, is because there was actually a time when Ethernet port were NOT bundled onto motherboards.

As far as benefits of using an additional card depend on what you are going to do with your PC.

Do not think that adding the card and putting an additional wire to the router will speed up your internet... This won't happen, as the bottlenec is the ISP, not the LAN.

You can add the cards to a PC, and make it a router, or add a single card, and connect it to the internet modem, and share the internet through that PC.

So that's it? Eh?

So why does this card carry such a high price of $280?

I assumed all the things that was said, but that price still leaves some curiosity.

Wahh? What kind of uber leet network card is that? Usually the $15 one from Frys works just fine.

IF06 said:
So that's it? Eh?

So why does this card carry such a high price of $280?

I assumed all the things that was said, but that price still leaves some curiosity.

We can't say unless you give us a link to said card, or give us the model number. Generally speaking, if you DON'T know what the reason to get it is, and it is $280, you don't need it.

talldude123 said:
Check out this uber card off Newegg, $750, 400MB/s
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833324002

Or a $300 one from Hewlett Packard, WTF, i thought they made crappy PC's, not networking products?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833316010

What you posted is:

1. a FIBER NIC, which is why it is so expensive... fiber isn't cheap. Not something you would likely find in a home, unless someone has too much money.

2. a SERVER dual port 10/100/1000 hot-swapable ethernet card with other features, like load balancing, VLAN trunking, and others..... IEEE 802.3, IEEE 802.3U, IEEE 802.1Q, IEEE 802.3ab, IEEE 802.1p, IEEE 802.3x, IEEE 802.3ad. This card would go along with the servers that HP sells. HP has business solutions in addition to their PC's, printers, digicam's, and whatever else they sell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom