XP home or Proffessional?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammytheman

In Runtime
Hey fellas I wanted to buy a new operating system but I am not sure which one. Basically I play a lot of games, download music, and movies. I also upgrade my PC once every 2 years. I hear Home doesn't support
X2 processors and such and that it has less security. Anyways please fill me in, thanx!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Windows XP Professional is slightly faster, and supports up to 4GB of RAM. In your case, for gaming, it would be better to spend the extra bucks for Pro.

Is it true that Home doesn't support the X2 procs? Because I was thinking of getting an X2 and I have Home.

im pretty sure that x2 is supported on home, why wouldnt it be. i think that home would do just fine unless you need advanced security options.

I'm running home and it supports my core2duo, heres a screenshot of my task manager. Should be the same story with the x2's.

taskmgruv6.jpg

There is no problem running a C2D or X2 with XP Home. I honestly think it is silly to spend an extra $80 or so for no real advantage for gaming.

I am not familiar with the differences between the 2, but I got XP pro, cause I got a deal, and scored a copy in the sub $100 range... (well, not a copy, but a certified disc, blah blah yeah).

mines Corperate so i never paided for it :), i love computers, but i would say go for Pro, thats what mine is and i like it better

Are you upgrading from an older version of Windows? Home Edition will support upgrades from Windows 98, 98 SE and ME, but not from Windows 95, NT 4.0 Workstation, or Windows 2000 Professional. You can upgrade from Windows 98, 98 SE, Millennium Edition (Me), Windows NT 4.0 Workstation, or Windows 2000 Professional to Windows XP Professional. Also, Pro supports up to two processors, Home doesn't. There are some other features that Pro has that Home doesn't, but I don't think any of them would be relevent for gamers.

As far as speed in concerned, I have never noticed any difference between the two.

Ethereal_Dragon said:
I am not familiar with the differences between the 2, but I got XP pro, cause I got a deal, and scored a copy in the sub $100 range... (well, not a copy, but a certified disc, blah blah yeah).

I scored a copy online for free. And it is not a certified disc. :D;):cool:

If you have to buy it, get home. Professional is twice as expensive as it needs to be. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom