Pinging works then doesn't work , cannot ping outside the LAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

longbillduck

Beta member
I have a new computer that I've set the I.P, subnet and default gateway plus the DNS server information

I can get into our LAN , but cannot get out on the internet

At the command prompt I ping an internal ip address, I get a response back, but if I ping an external ip www.whatever.com or the external address I get no response.

The firewall is turned off

Any thoughts?

Are you behind a router? If you aren't behind a router and trying to assign Ip's your liscense will expire and your Ip will be useless.....

Yes, I should have answered before, I am behind a router, but the box I'm on now is also plugged into the same router and working fine.

From the sounds of it, I would have a guess that your DNS information is not correct.

Can you ping 64.233.161.147 ?

If you can, then the issue would be that the DNS isn't setup correctly, or is having issues.

Can you provide us with more info about your network topology, number of host, and type of internet connection?

I was unable to ping 64.233.161.147 , it timed out

I checked and re-checked the DNS information, all is correct

The pc in question goes into a D-Link 24 port switch, as does this pc I'm on.

From the switch, to the router, to the Paridine DSL

There are 17 hosts in the system

Out of the 17 hosts in the network, is this the ONLY one having this issue of not being able to get out of the LAN?

What kind of router are you using as the gateway. With the number of hosts you have, it sounds like a SOHO network, is the router something like a Cisco which may have Access Lists that could preventing this host from getting out of the LAN? Or maybe some type of MAC filtering, or some such setting?

Can you ping the default gateway? If you can't, than there's your problem, the router. Might want to check again if you enter the correct IP, if other computer on static can get online. Check the router for any firewall settings.

Sorry for the long delay in responding, I just finally figured out the problem

We are behind a SOHO 6 firewall, that is licensed for 25 users; we were excedding the maximum number of users, we only have 18 PC's that should be accessing the internet

I was under the impression that when a PC was shut down, that license opening became available, it did not. The IP address was logged and a different IP could not take over the position when one of the first 25 computers logged off.

But for some reason, some of our print servers were showing as accessing the internet, too,which these should not be doing.

So, I downloaded a software update that allowed me to clear the logged IP Addresses; and it by doing that I had access to the internet.

Thanks all for your suggestions

Art

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom