WinXP SP3

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwokwai

In Runtime
I am using wiXP SP1, and going to upgrade it; can anyone tell me if winXP SP3 is available?

Windows XP SP3 is not available, nor thought of yet by Microsoft. The only service pack that is highly recommended is Service Pack 2. It may be 2 years old, but it's still very safe to use over Service Pack 1.

talldude123 said:
Windows XP SP3 is not available, nor thought of yet by Microsoft. The only service pack that is highly recommended is Service Pack 2. It may be 2 years old, but it's still very safe to use over Service Pack 1.

I purchased a new PC from HP two days ago, the PC has XP Pro SP2 installed, and I have also got another 1 yr old PC with SP2 installed.
I didn't do any Windows update to this 1 yr old PC.
Could you tell me which of the SP2 versions gets more bugs fixed and safer?

Sp2 is just 1 patch. It is the same no matter which version. It all depends on if you do the updates or not. Since SP2 was released in June 2 years ago no matter what if you dont do any updates it will be the same no matter what.

But when you buy a new PC it will have the updates done to the time the PC was built. So the machine you bought 2 days ago will have more bugs fixed and be safer since it has had updates done to it.

But the machine that you have not done any updates to could be even saafer. All you have to do is go to windows update and update it. Then it would be even more safe.

BTW SP 3 is not out. It is just in the Beta stages right now. It wont be out till after Vista gets released next year.

Makaveli213 said:
But the machine that you have not done any updates to could be even saafer. ..

Did you mean my windows may contain more bugs after it has an update from Microsoft?

Some bugs are designed to exploit SP2 and they won't do diddly if you don't have it. But when you get SP2, you need to get all the rest of the updates to patch the holes SP2 opens up. Make sense? I manage nearly a hundred PC's all of which run XP. Supposedly, they are auto updated by corporate. NOT! The ones that haven't been updated since they were installed have fewer problems than the newer ones. But, since corporate now and then rolls out an update, that creates problems for the machines that don't have current MS fixes. SO, since auto update is FUBAR'd I have to go to each one and log in and get the updates. How much fun is that? Thank GOD for VPN or I would be living here till it's done.

superdave1984 said:
Some bugs are designed to exploit SP2 and they won't do diddly if you don't have it. But when you get SP2, you need to get all the rest of the updates to patch the holes SP2 opens up. Make sense? I manage nearly a hundred PC's all of which run XP. Supposedly, they are auto updated by corporate. NOT! The ones that haven't been updated since they were installed have fewer problems than the newer ones. But, since corporate now and then rolls out an update, that creates problems for the machines that don't have current MS fixes. SO, since auto update is FUBAR'd I have to go to each one and log in and get the updates. How much fun is that? Thank GOD for VPN or I would be living here till it's done.

How can I stop my XP from automatic update?
Please help!

kwokwai said:
How can I stop my XP from automatic update?
Please help!

Start -> Control Panel -> Automatic Updates -> Turn Off Automatic Updates.

You can also tell it to notify you which updates are available, or download the updates, and let you selectively install certain updates.

I have auto updates on and i have never, NEVER had a issue with any of the updates released. Wehn M$ releases updates yes there are some people who do ahve some issues. But if you think aobut it over 30 MILLION people use the software. It is used different on every machine.

Therefor you can never release a patch that would work on every system. It is advised to update to patch the holes that are discovered. Not all vunerabilties were opened up by SP2. In fact some of the more serious ones are known issues from Windows 95 that still affect todays systems.

If you keep your system patched you will run into less problems and or run the risk of being invaded. The best practice is to make sure you use a good firewall and anti virus. But even then things can happen.

@talldude M$ said that the Vista Business would be released in Nov while it would be available to the Public in Jan. We are only in Sept therefor you still have a few months before it hits public. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom