17 minute boot times and extremely slow system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well after a long time the chkdsk did finish, fixed a few things but its still as slow as it was before.

other than the boot time what about the rest of the system? does everything run slow?? loading internet pages, programs, etc?? you might just have some serious stuff in the backgroud that is grinding everything to a halt? get a program called HiJackThis; run it and save a log file. Then post it in the virus section of the forum and someone there will help you out. you can also get a program called XP antispy, that will help you get rid of a few things and enable fast shut down, among other things. I'm pretty sure your drive is going as well, but these might help prolong the life for a little while until you get a new one.

Yes its not only the boot times, everything else is also REALLY slow. Il try the programs you sujested. Thanks.

Well I just wanted to say that the new hardrive has arrived, and Ive installed windows and all the other stuff I needed. And I'm very happy to report my pc has never been faster :D My boot times now are less than 35 seconds, + the system itself is very fast too :D

Thank you very much.

Proposing to buy new parts and hope that they works isn't a solution.
You must identify the problem first.
It might be:
1) Hdd is working in Pio Mode instead of UltraDMA. Go to device manager to check this. Also, download this free utility HDTach:http://www.simplisoftware.com/Public/index.php?request=HdTach
and test your hdd speed. It it's pio problem It would stuck at 2.5mb/s and would consume 100% cpu, If it's normal DMA - it should transfer data at least 20-30mb/s
2) Some IRQ or Interrupt problem (hardware-related) - this might cause windows to stop responding completely for specific periods of time. Solution:
a) unplug/remove everything except mobo/cpu/ram/video.
Boot xp, and see if persits. It it is, than go to device manager and disable everything not necessary for operation (i.e usb hubs, floppy controller, etc)
b)after than re-enable and plug devices one by one until you find a problematic one (if it exists of course)

Well I don't understand, my system was slow, I bought a new hdd, now its fast, my problem is solved. Isn't it?

I bought a new hdd, now its fast, my problem is solved. Isn't it?
Yep, that's one way to solve hardware problems :)
My guess would be that new hdd automatically works in UlstraDma mode (as it should be normally)

Well the thing is, the old Hdd came with my pc when I bought it (in february 2005), and only recently it began to slow down, I never changed the settings away from UlstraDma mode (neither would I know of known how), so what makes you think that was the problem?

Just because if it does turn out to of been the problem, then I could use my old hdd as a backup drive or just extra space. Which is always nice :D

yoshiemaster said:
hmmm, you might want to try defragging the HDD.

Did you even read the thread? I'm gonna go with no.

I'm glad you were able to fix your problem. Always feels nice when things go back to working how they should!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom