theoretical cooling option

Status
Not open for further replies.
it's in the USA. so i guess you could probably get those shipped to canada if need be. I don't understand why it's so expensive in canada.

heres an idea

how about putting the mini frigde on it's side and using tubing to route the cold air down to the case,(dont forget that dehumidifier) then seal off the case, warm air goes up the tube and the cold air moves downward and it will circulate that way, ta-daa :cool:

Edit: remeber to have the minifridge physically above the case!

Edit Again: 2 tubes would be even better! and you would have to work out that bit on freon gas

spartan1121 said:
my dad said that one possibility would be to put a refrigerant coil in the computer, with a place for condensation to drip into.

Ha...yeah, that'd work greeaat.

Go grab that coil on the back of your fridge. I'll give you a quarter if you don't scream. :p

CrazeD said:
Ha...yeah, that'd work greeaat.

Go grab that coil on the back of your fridge. I'll give you a quarter if you don't scream. :p

it wont work. A refrigerator works by transferring heat from the inside of the refrigerator to the air outside the refrigerator. if u do research on a refridgerator than ull no y. final answer is u cant use a refridgerator to cool a computer.

Sui said:
Ok those crappy fridges take like a day to cool down, and like 4-5 days to get to freezing temps with no one opening them while on high. So right there concept toasted.

Rather then keeping moisture out of the air perhaps you can do what everyone else does and make the componets water resistant. Theres even a spray for this, you'll have to cover things you want to use later, like sata connectors, or PCI slots.

Condesation forms on colder things. Go get into an air conditioned car, stick your face into the vent and see how long it takes condesation to form. Have you ever steped into an air conditioned car and thought the seat was wet from the A/C, no..... I hope not anyway. Open the fridge and grab a can of soda, as long as the fridge hasn't been open a while you can grab the soda and it'll be dry, 5 minites after you take it out the moisture in a warm room will collect on the can. The only way he would have a problem with condensation is if he had some air coming into the case without going though the cooler/fridge/ac first.

OMG... ok... i'll step thru this so i dont flip.
condensation does form on colder things, very good...
the stuff in your car does not get condesation on it because the air is circulated. guess what is happening to the heat exchanger where the refrigerant is decompressing and getting cold: ITS COLLECTING CONDENSATION!!! it is essentially working as a dehumidifier as it cools. and by the way, water condensating on your face is about the dumbest thing i've ever heard, crack a book would you?

basicly, he puts room temperature computer parts in a room temperature frig. lets say he never ever opens it up after he closes it. as the frig cools... moisture will separate from the air. most of the condensation will form on the walls as this is where it is the coldest. the air imediately around the computer will still be warm because it is generating heat. if he turns of the computer, even for a minute, the air temperature will drop drastically around the computer and the warm air that was holding a small amount of moisture will condense on your computer.

If you waterproof your parts, it will hurt your heat transfer and you will need the steep temperature difference to drive your heat transfer to stock rates or else it will over heat in normal conditions.

i went to school specifically for crap like this. its not my computer, do what you want.

It was designed to sound stupid, but its also proof of concept, point is you'd be there a long time.

He never said anything about putting his computer IN the fridge, but who cares. I doubt that any moisture, or enough to cause a short would form on componets with the scenario that you provided. That wouldn't be to hard to test, voltmeter, coffie cup, warm water a fridge to test.

Yes and no, if you paint over your heatsink then yes, you'd have to be careful not to paint over caps. It'd be a very slow process to do right, but you could do it with affecting heat transfer of heat producing componets. Most people who do this are doing the whole extreme cooling liquid nitrogen thing, so small losses in heat transfer isn't a big deal to them.

You went to school for........... heating and cooling? Is there good money there or something?

krazieaznboi said:
it wont work. A refrigerator works by transferring heat from the inside of the refrigerator to the air outside the refrigerator. if u do research on a refridgerator than ull no y. final answer is u cant use a refridgerator to cool a computer.
ok then what prevents it(if installed right) from transfering ambeint heat in the computer to the outside of the computer? And this thread wasn't meant to be completely 100% serious, but it would be kinda cool to have a super cold computer.

Sui said:
You went to school for........... heating and cooling? Is there good money there or something?

i went to school for mechanical engineering. (heat transfer and fluid mechanics)
i make aerospace heat exchangers. so if you think im an idiot, dont fly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom