GPO Settings Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been testing all morning.
I've removed the GPO and started from scratch. I've found that when I add the 2 following policies then I encounter the problem:

user configuration\administrative templates\windows components\windows explorer\hide these specified drives in my computer

user configuration\administrative templates\windows components\windows explorer\prevent access to drives from my computer

I want to restrict access to C and this seems to stop users from drag & drop onto desktop and use of CD copying.

Any suggestions?

hrowinski said:
I have been testing all morning.
I've removed the GPO and started from scratch. I've found that when I add the 2 following policies then I encounter the problem:

user configuration\administrative templates\windows components\windows explorer\hide these specified drives in my computer

user configuration\administrative templates\windows components\windows explorer\prevent access to drives from my computer

I want to restrict access to C and this seems to stop users from drag & drop onto desktop and use of CD copying.

Any suggestions?

If the Document & Setting/Users are in the drive you restricted, they won't be able to make any changes to their desktop because "Desktop" is usually in Documents & Setting/Users/Desktop which is default on C. That might be the problem.

Edit

CD copy requires windows to store the content of the CD in a temp folder usually in the documents and setting/users folder again before burning it.

I will give domain users modify permissions to C & docs & settings to see if that solves the problem

Use the GPMC tool and run the results wizard..It will tell you in detail exactly which polices it is pushing out to that machine..run it both against the machine itself and the user and both may be pushing out settings.

Thanks
I think i cracked it... I left out this policy

& I'm only using this one to hide C drive

& I can still drag & drop onto desktop and copy to CD's :D :D

Thanks for all your help

So "prevent access to drives from my computer" was the problem? Just that or did you do any other changes like NTFS permission?

Law said:
So "prevent access to drives from my computer" was the problem? Just that or did you do any other changes like NTFS permission?

no it was just that. When I had that policy in place i granted the modify permission to all users on the documents & settings folder but that didnt make any difference.

Strange problem but I'm glad that I dont have to burn everyone's CD now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom