General Maintenance Toolkit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dakta

In Runtime
Hey there,

to accompany my computers, i am looking for a suite of tools, nothing special, that i can keep on hand in case of problems, as a budding enthusiast, with 5 computers in the house (powered by Active directory - overkill or what?) I take maintenance of systems ehre quite seriously, I see it in the light of an admin you could sya, and keeping the systems running smooth is a serious business.

So my simple question is thios, what softwares would you keep on hand in case the worst happens? you will of course be wondering what the 'worst' is, but I do not know since it could be one thing one week and another the next, but my ideas are to make a disc with programs such as adaware, microsoft antispyware, spybot, avg and winsock fixers for both XP and 98/Me systems, are there any other products out there that can help diagnose and fix unpredictable problems?

I remember norton utilities used to have a good one but it seems to have ceased in production.

The seocnd part of my question is, are there any of these tools that can boot from a disk, or be run from a live operating system that is booted off disk? it would make much more sense to eliminate viruses and malware from outside the windows environment where there are no "this file is currently in use" errors to prevent you from ridding of them.

Of course, im considering linux distros such as ubuntu but im a total newb at linux so im not sure how much it offers in that direction, to be honest setting up active directory was almost beyond me as it is. Not bad for 17, though.

Rather than looking toward what to do after you have a problem, do the things that will reduce the possibilities. The best thing you can do is keep all of your protection updated and run it regularly if it isn't real time. Do the usual maintenance, defrag, clear the cookies and history, and once in a while blow out this inside of the case with canned air...not with a shop compressor as someone here recently did.

Trotter said:
Don't forget a set of 8-, 12-, and 16-ounce hammers.

And for the times that you truly want to drive your point home don't forget the 8Lb. sledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom