thinking of xeons for gaming rig or e6800

Status
Not open for further replies.

halomaster2004

Beta member
thinking of xeons for gaming rig or x6800

hey guys
I have about 3 grand for a gaming computer, I was thinking of buying an x6800 but I saw the fsb speed on the new xeon 5140's and i was thinking, would two of them with a ASUS DSBF-D/SAS mb, if I was to buy the e6800, I would buy the ASUS P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP mb, would would you advice? I would of course wait for the r600, but im not really sure if i want to spend money on kentsfield. does anyone really even know anythign about the xeon 5140's? can they be overclocked? how does woodcrest compare to conroe in terms of both performance in gaming and raw processing power? thanks
mike

i am a noob, i ment to say x6800, im sorry. um, does anybody know anything about the xeons though? would they preform better/worse for my money,
thanks

Honestly, I wouldn't get either. I don't know a lot about Xeons, but a double CPU slution will rarely be better than a high-end dual core single CPU.

As for the 6800, you'd be wasting your money. You mention overclcocking. Now, you can save yourself like $200+ by buying the 6700, and just overclock it to 6800 speeds. The 6800 won't overclock that much further than the 6700, no matter what anybody tells you about unlocked multipliers.

The AMD X2 4800 and the FX60 is a good example of this.

Get the 6700, and spend the money you save by buying a second GFX card to go SLI/Crossfire. You'll see a bigger difference in games with SLI than with the 200MHz difference in your CPU.

Just my opinion though, feel free to dissagree........ :D

the xeon wont perform any where as good as the x6800 will in games. I agree with magouster. THe only time you need the unlocked multipliers is when you get into w/c and even then it wont matter that much.

The Xeon will be horrible for gaming. That's not what it was designed to do. It's intended for server purposes. Stick with the C2D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom