is this a good router (i know nothing of routers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
"the big bucks" arent really big bucks. You can get a decent router for around 50 dollars.

turtile said:
The first one is old but back when it was new it was worth a ton. That router isn't ment for consumer use. Its a business model. Cisco invented the router.

Get this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/DLINK-Gaming-Ro...DVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item190027960311

The reason why i can't get that one is because my paypal doesn't want to work, so i need something with local pick up so that i can pay when i pick up the router. I will try to look for a couple more and get your opinion on them.

Also, can you guys give me a list of pointers on what makes a good router. Cause my main concern is having fast internet to my second computer. thanks

When you say 'fast internet;' to your other computer, are they at 2 physical locations were you will be networking them together over the internet, or at the same site where they will be on the same Local Area Network?

If they are at the same site, going to be in the same LAN, you can getting 10/100/1000 routers that support gigabit ethernet, but you won't find one under $40. Also, each computer has to have a NIC card that supports 10/100/1000 as well, or it will only work at 10/100 (or just 10 Meg if the card is REALLY old).

Just about any router that you can find at Best Buy or Circuit City would do.. no need to get one off of ebay, but that's your call.

As far as finding a 'good' router, that depends on how to want to expand your network... Do you want one with a built in USB print server? Do you want wireless capabilities? Is gigabit ethernet important? Will be doing any VPN work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom