Windows Vista Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently, Windows Vista's startup sounds, recorded by Robert Fripp, are very liked by Microsoft executives, so much that they are thinking about removing the ability for the end user to remove them or customize them as he wishes.

According to Steve Ball, the group program manager for the Windows Audio Video Excellence team, Windows Vista will offer a "common, and beautiful, face to the world.". He says Microsoft worked hard on those sounds and on its corporate image and that he thinks they will be liked by a majority of users.

http://theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=34094

yo! :)

rc1 just released...i'm on pre-rc1...questions for any that are using it...while I'll trying to fix my other pc it's on :p

one of the things many on the forums voiced were concerns over modem support. (sound support aside) Do you guys know, if the testing is soon enough, that there is modem support? I'm sure there may have been some, but not enough to cover the majority of users.

So I'm just wondering if it's there, if so I can stop doing this virtual pc thing :D

thanks

ehh

I decided to go for it...nix the virtual pc vista testing...

slowed me down anyhow

So eventhough it was scary to get all my drivers to work, I finally did! yeehaw. Oh, the horrors of being tied to 56k...and uh, cough, software portal isp.

hey I'm poor, so give me a break :D

In a surprising move, Microsoft just announced that, as opposite to previous announcements it made about it, it will expand the Customer Preview Program to a broader audience in time for the release of the first Release Candidate. Estimates currently are that 5 million customers will get their hands on it through the program.

Now that we're expanding the Windows Vista Customer Preview Program, an even broader audience will get to experience just how much Windows Vista has to offer, said Mike Sievert, corporate vice president for Windows Client Marketing at Microsoft. The expansion of the CPP program really sends a strong message to the industry and our customers: the time to prepare for Windows Vista has arrived.

Along with this announcement, Microsoft also made a public call for people to try it out.

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2006/sep06/09-05WindowsVistaIndustryPR.mspx

While Microsoft is still struggling to get Windows Vista out of the door, it is apparently already thinking about what will happen with its future operating systems. Microsoft would be thinking about not only change the way it develops Windows, after the total development fiasco that Vista has been, but also in a number of other ways.

While Vienna should introduce a completely new user interface, Microsoft is also thinking of many other changes it could introduce with this release, or in other releases:

http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=34897

One of the architects of Windows Vista is leaving Microsoft weeks after it emerged he would be re-assigned once the delayed operating system is launched.

Brian Valentine, the vice president for Microsoft's core operating system division, is reportedly leaving Microsoft after 19 years to join internet retailer Amazon.

Tame the beast at The Future of the Data Centre event
His exit comes after it emerged Valentine was being replaced by the man currently in charge of Microsoft's engineering standards, Jon DeVaan, while no role had been earmarked for Valentine. It was the latest bout of change designed to finally get Windows Vista out the door and lay the groundwork for smoother delivery for future versions of Windows.

Former group vice president Jim Allchin is also headed out following a major restructuring last September. Allchin was responsible for Windows product delivery, engineering and technical architecture but was elevated to a broader, shared responsibility as platform and services division co-president with fellow co-president Kevin Johnson - formerly group vice president of sales, marketing and services. Allchin will leave Microsoft, after 16 years, once Windows Vista has shipped.

Windows Vista has been beset by delays, core architectural elements have been removed and the code base was reworked after as it became obvious the original vision could not be met.

Valentine led Windows code engineering for seven years and is joining Amazon as a senior vice president. Microsoft was unavailable for comment at the time of going to press

http://www.theregister.com/2006/09/06/brian_valentine_amazon/

Do you know when us non-current CPP participants can get a key and sign up for the CPP program? On the Msft site it just says check back for updates but gives no specifics on when they will expand the program. :confused:

This is the moment you've all been waiting for.. (OK, all the non testers!)

Windows Vista RC1, the exact same build testers received on Friday has now been released publicly.

This particular build (being 5600) has received high praise about its much improved stability and performance.

Windows Vista RC1 is available in both 32-Bit and 64-bit Editions, to download your desired edition click the "Windows Vista RC1 Download Page" link provided below.

http://download.windowsvista.com/preview/rc1/en/download.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom