Computer Won't Boot or Format

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unplug/remove all cards except for things which are necessary to boot. - Just leave mobo, cpu,ram,video. Set bios to defaults (no overclock), Than try to boot from:
1) hdd,(unplug cd/fd) specifying hdd as first boot device
2)cdrom (unplug hdd/fd)- specifying cdrom as first boot device
3) floppy (unplug hdd/cd) -||-
If none of this works than you have problem in cpu/ram/mobo/video

Thank you JungleMike. I tried what you said... didn't work.. and it can't be the Ram because I have swaped that out.. That only leaves cpu/mobo/video ...... What would be the most likley cause out of those 3?

I would say:
MObo: 98% probability faulty - since it extremely complicated device with dozens of chips and thousands connections. Anything could be wrong
CPU: 1%. Cpu failures are extremely rare, Not accidently they have lifetime warranty. If cpu had been bad - you wouldn't be able to see anything on the screen, yet you see.
video: 1%. Since you can see on the screen *something* - it means that video card is at least performing it basic function - showing you information on the screen. So it's hard to beleive it's faulty.

okay that is what I thought... Man, I have had two problems in the last two days, and never before, maybe I am loosing my touch as a technician lol... I'll tell him to start with a mobo.

Thanks Jungle Mike and everybody!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom