theoretical cooling option

Status
Not open for further replies.
CrazeD said:
You can't say drastic temperature drops don't work, when people have gotten chips colder than -200*C....

But, no, you can't ghetto rig a refridgerator to cool a computer. :)

true that...

the -200*C chips are controled in labs with liquid nitrogen/co2/etc... not a duct from a frig... you know this though.

if you had a kicka$$ dehumidifier it might... MIGHT... work, but i doubt it. you would need to check the relative humidity and dewpoint... of course this changes day to day with the pressure and such.

haha yeah ok. i didn't kno that...could probably cut a hole in the door...but still i know it's not that good of an idea to do it anyways.

i'd never heard of the whole freon thing. i was under the impression that all the gases were in the back of the fridge but i guess i was wrong. thanks.

the gas in your frig only gets cold when it goes thru a drastic pressure change. thats why there is a compressor. it pumps the low pressure gas into a high pressure liquid and releases it to low pressure again. when the liquid boils to a gas, it absorbs a bunch of energy making everything inside the frig 'cold' because the heat was taken away by the boiling liquid. then hot gas then is passed thru the coils on the back of your frig to release the heat it just collected from inside.

simply 'using freon' to cool you computer will not work. besides, most frigs use R134A or some other engineered fluid

Ok those crappy fridges take like a day to cool down, and like 4-5 days to get to freezing temps with no one opening them while on high. So right there concept toasted.

Rather then keeping moisture out of the air perhaps you can do what everyone else does and make the componets water resistant. Theres even a spray for this, you'll have to cover things you want to use later, like sata connectors, or PCI slots.

Condesation forms on colder things. Go get into an air conditioned car, stick your face into the vent and see how long it takes condesation to form. Have you ever steped into an air conditioned car and thought the seat was wet from the A/C, no..... I hope not anyway. Open the fridge and grab a can of soda, as long as the fridge hasn't been open a while you can grab the soda and it'll be dry, 5 minites after you take it out the moisture in a warm room will collect on the can. The only way he would have a problem with condensation is if he had some air coming into the case without going though the cooler/fridge/ac first.

i may look into some kind of cooling like this, my dad owns his own air conditioning buisness, so i have acess to spare parts and industrial freon and such. Im sure he could help me out with an extreme cooling option like this.

my fridge can get up to freezing in less that a day, but i'm still not decided on the idea. though it'd be freaking sweet to do.

i'll have to wait and see how satisfied w/ my OCed E6400 ;)

my dad said that one possibility would be to put a refrigerant coil in the computer, with a place for condensation to drip into.

jordo_99 said:
dude...seriously i have a minifridge that is 18x18x36in...basically it's 1/3 of the size of a normal fridge but still gets very cold.

it was just under $100. and most people (well that i know) have dehumidifiers...i live in nebraska and humidity is a problem here (cuz it makes everything super hot) so that might be what could make it more of a household item.

basically i could use this for $100 and get way better cooling for the same price as water cooling...it'd just start to be a problem when i wanna upgrade.

no...there are two vents...with one moving air to the fridge and another moving air from the fridge. THUS creating a circulation of heated and cooled air.

and now that i think of it. i could even create a way (as long as it's possible to remove the humidity inside) so that i could still use some of the fridge's space and just seal off a seperate area for the cooled air for the PC.

this isn't meant to be a flame...i'm sorry if it comes off that way. i'm just trying my darndest to explain my thinking and i'm rereading what i posted earlier and if you read it carefully then it should make perfect sense...

also not that age matters...but you're only 16...it could be that you're not understanding this because it's something i might've learned in a physics or some science class...so i'm sorry if that's the case and i appologize for flaming a little.

i hope these two posts clear it up.

what do you think of this idea spartan1121?

might be worth a try if you've got materials for it.

i dont no where u live but where i live a mini freezer cost about 150$ and a dehumidifier cost up to 200-300$

i already said in a previous post that i'm from nebraska...you should really start reading the posts before responding to them man.

you've already screwed up like 4 times in this thread alone by not reading posts. just do everyone including yourself a favor and just read everything before posting next time please.

BTW
http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_.../form_keyword=dehumidifier/rd=1/sortby=priceA

the cheapest electric ones are $60-100. you don't need anything special for this.

AND ALSO:
http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_...&page_id=767&popup2[]=10:1781&lo_p=0&hi_p=100

where are you from by the way? cuz all this stuff is WAY cheaper here than what it is there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom