WinXP Cant see hard-drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

olz

Beta member
My second hard-drive wont show up in windows 'my computer'
it does show up in bios however and using data recovery software ive been able to get all the data i want off it, so it obviously *is* physically working ok and isnt as badly corrupted as i first assumed.

My question is, how can i get winxp to recognise the drive within the windows OS, without having to use data recovery software to *see* the drive?

it was my primary hard-drive, but then then i found i couldnt boot off it anymore, so i installed windows onto my other (storage) drive to see if i could salvage anything from it.
And its not set as a slave no.

Hello,

I'm confused as to which drive is where and which :umm:...

...but despite that, if the drive is hooked up to the slave IDE port, on the same IDE cable as your other hard drive, then that hard drive connected to the slave port should have its jumper set to either Slave or Cable Select.

Like alvin said. You can't have 2 hdd both set as master on one cable. The one you want as a slave must have the jumper set as slave or cable select. If you look on top of you hard drive most have a diagram of the proper position to put the jumper for the setting you desire. The jumper is located on the rear of the hdd. try that and let us know if it solved your problem.

Hi, thanks for the quick replies, the drives are both on seperate ide cables so i dont think changing the jumpers would make any difference.
I'll trying slaving one of the drives by using one ide cable for both and make sure the jumpers are appropriately set and see what happens though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom