Updated computer won't boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard Laymon

Baseband Member
Hi all, here's my first post and I'll try to give as much info as possible to save unnecessary posts.

A friend of a friend had an oldish computer that he thought was for the bin. I heard about it and asked if I could have a look to see what's what.
The only problem it had was a broken 15-pin VGA graphics connector housing leaving the 15 pins exposed and very vulnerable. The pins were alright as when I put my monitor cable to them, it worked, albeit dodgy to say the least.
Fixing the housing wasn't possible that I could see. The posts where the housing was fixed to the mobo (onboard graphics) were snapped off.
I decided rather than just adding a graphics card and figuring out how to disable the onboard graphics, I would simply update the mobo.

Here lies the problem, nothing happens when I attempt to power up. Dead, totally dead. I have dismantled it all a couple of times and made sure all cables and what-not are secure but still nothing. Power looks to be getting to the PSU as a little green light flashes constantly on it's back panel, but other than that little evidence of life, it's quite dead.

The original spec was:
MSI MS-6577 v3.1 socket 478 motherboard with a Processor front side bus frequency of 400/533 MHz.
1 x 256MB 333 DDR-DIMM memory card.
2.60 GHz Celeron processor.

New spec is:
As above but using an ASRock P4i65G socket 478 motherboard with a Processor front side bus frequency of 800/533 MHz.

Any help much appreciated ;)

If your talking about the little white square connector with two yellow and two black wires then sorry it is attached :(

P.S.
Thanks for the welcome :)

Is it possible that the processor is the wrong type (different cores) or simply not fast enough, the FSB of the mobo is double that of the chip ?

Well I set it up outside the tower and nothing, so I took it back to the shop and they tested the mobo and told me it posted several times. They advised me to re-check all my connections and make sure everything else is working.

I tried placing all connections very securely to the mobo but nothing worked. I then replaced the old mobo into the tower and tried that one. A blue flashing light is visable on the front panel but nothing else. The old system doesn't do jack same as the new one, no fans spinning, no hard drive spinning up, no beeps, nothing :(

What has gone wrong ?

When you replaced the mobo did you use the "risers" to keep the board away from the PC case? It's POSSIBLE that the board is shorting out when the power in turned on. Maybe the mounting screws are too tight. Try loosening the screws a quarter turn.

PS...."Resurrection Dreams" was my favorite!

I have tried to boot it up outside the tower so it can't be the risers. I shall attempt to connect my PSU tomorrow and see what happens.

"Flesh" ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom