AM2 vs. 939

Status
Not open for further replies.

zerodayATK

Daemon Poster
ok this may have been asked a bazillion times but right now i got an agp 939 mobo that im going to switch with a pci-e sli mobo but... should i stay with 939 or is am2 much petter or cheaper . and the 939 will be cheaper correct?

Well, just my two cents, but I'd go with the 939, it vs AM2 is about the same level as far as price and performance is concerned, but DDR2 ram is a fair bit more expensive.

ok thanks ... i wanna get a new proc.... i got a 3200 now should i got 939 dual core ... ?

if you are going to be changing out the motherboard then I suggest going AM2.

It's more future proof..of course you will need to shell out the money for some DDR-2 RAM.

gurusan said:
if you are going to be changing out the motherboard then I suggest going AM2.

It's more future proof..of course you will need to shell out the money for some DDR-2 RAM.
how exactly is it "more future proof", there's no significant advancements in architechture lined up for AMD for a few years, slight variations of current architechture, maybe, but nothing noteworthy, 939 is future-proof enough for anyone, in my honest opinion.

939 is cheaper, the better thing in AM2 is the support for DDR-2 memory. which is obviously recommended over DDR now.

and get Motherboard based on nForce5 nVidia chipset. it h*** is more technological then Intel chipsets.

its good to spend some extra this time rather than to regreta afterwards. how ever the 939 being the cheapest remains true (with no superfacial performance rise in CPU on same clock and specs)

i don't mean to side track, but does the AM2 literally have 939 pins as well as the "939" ?

dwarf said:
how exactly is it "more future proof", there's no significant advancements in architechture lined up for AMD for a few years, slight variations of current architechture, maybe, but nothing noteworthy, 939 is future-proof enough for anyone, in my honest opinion.

On this note, the AM2 motherboards, a half decent one anyway I'd assume has been said that they will be compatible with AM3 processors when the new socket is released. So that's your futureproof right there. Though AM3 motherboards won't be compatible with AM2 processors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom