theoretical cooling option

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok here's my best guess as to how to do it.

make two ducts in each the fridge and the case (so that air can circulate in from one duct and and out the other.

then you run into the problem of condensation...well i don't know if this would fix that problem but it'd be worth a try.

take the fridge and case, turn them off, and open up the doors and leave them in a closed room (closet or valult or something idk...) w/ a dehumidifier for a while.

^that way the stuff would be as dry as possible...then close up all the vents and stuff in the case so that it's as close to a vacuum as possible (to keep dust and moisture out)

plug them in and *magic word* it might work.

jordo_99 said:
ok here's my best guess as to how to do it.

make two ducts in each the fridge and the case (so that air can circulate in from one duct and and out the other.

then you run into the problem of condensation...well i don't know if this would fix that problem but it'd be worth a try.

take the fridge and case, turn them off, and open up the doors and leave them in a closed room (closet or valult or something idk...) w/ a dehumidifier for a while.

^that way the stuff would be as dry as possible...then close up all the vents and stuff in the case so that it's as close to a vacuum as possible (to keep dust and moisture out)

plug them in and *magic word* it might work.

theres no point in making 2 duct cuz blowing hot air into the freezer is bad for it. and either way thers gonna be condensation cuz moisture will be drawn from the case openings. ur best bet is just use an airtight anti-static bad and shove the whole dam thing in the freezer. or just get water cooling.

dehumidifier + freezer = 300-500$
liquid cooling = 100-300$

no i meant have it circulation (one fan pushing air out of fridge and one pulling air into fridge.)

and the case would have all the vents and stuff sealed.

didn't you read that or did i not make it clear enough? I'm pretty sure i made that about as detailed as i could w/o making it ridiculously long.

oooo. u didnt say anything about sealing the case vents. anyways if have everything sealed theyre is no ventilation. its almost like sucking air out of the bottle than blowing back into the bottle but wen ur sucking the air outta the bottle, the bottle will collapse.

ok i'll try to explain again.

cold air is push/pulled (by fan 1) from the inside of the minifridge into the case where it is then warmed by the pc parts and then pushed/pulled by another (fan 2) back into the minifridge where it is cooled down again.

what you said doesn't make sense. it's not like that. it's a closed circulation.

when i said it's a vacuum i didn't mean that the whole case and fridge are sealed from outside humidity and dust.

it's basically the same design as the fridge itseft...freon moves up to the freezer part and gives off "coldness" and then goes back down where it is cooled again...back up to the freezer...etc.

this will work...but only if you can somehow get the inside of the case and fridge to have no humidity and very little dust and then sealed so that none can get in.

i hope that clears things up.

krazieaznboi said:
theres no point in making 2 duct cuz blowing hot air into the freezer is bad for it. and either way thers gonna be condensation cuz moisture will be drawn from the case openings. ur best bet is just use an airtight anti-static bad and shove the whole dam thing in the freezer. or just get water cooling.

dehumidifier + freezer = 300-500$
liquid cooling = 100-300$

dude...seriously i have a minifridge that is 18x18x36in...basically it's 1/3 of the size of a normal fridge but still gets very cold.

it was just under $100. and most people (well that i know) have dehumidifiers...i live in nebraska and humidity is a problem here (cuz it makes everything super hot) so that might be what could make it more of a household item.

basically i could use this for $100 and get way better cooling for the same price as water cooling...it'd just start to be a problem when i wanna upgrade.

krazieaznboi said:
oooo. u didnt say anything about sealing the case vents. anyways if have everything sealed theyre is no ventilation. its almost like sucking air out of the bottle than blowing back into the bottle but wen ur sucking the air outta the bottle, the bottle will collapse.

no...there are two vents...with one moving air to the fridge and another moving air from the fridge. THUS creating a circulation of heated and cooled air.

and now that i think of it. i could even create a way (as long as it's possible to remove the humidity inside) so that i could still use some of the fridge's space and just seal off a seperate area for the cooled air for the PC.

this isn't meant to be a flame...i'm sorry if it comes off that way. i'm just trying my darndest to explain my thinking and i'm rereading what i posted earlier and if you read it carefully then it should make perfect sense...

also not that age matters...but you're only 16...it could be that you're not understanding this because it's something i might've learned in a physics or some science class...so i'm sorry if that's the case and i appologize for flaming a little.

i hope these two posts clear it up.

what do you think of this idea spartan1121?

might be worth a try if you've got materials for it.

Well, first off..it's not even possible. You can't just "cut a hole in the side of a fridge". There is toxic gases inside the fridge door and walls. One time my neighbor (somehow) punctured his freezer door, and freeon (sp?) was leaking out. Fire Dpt. had to come and blow all the fumes out.

So yeah, you can't just pop a hole in the side and throw a tube in there. It's a whole helluva lot more complicated than that.

let me start by saying... no.

filters do not remove moisture. static bags in the freezer still have moisture inside of them so you really arn't doing anything to stop condensation... we've been over this time and time again, gentelmen. drastic temperature drops do not work!

cwiz said:
let me start by saying... no.

filters do not remove moisture. static bags in the freezer still have moisture inside of them so you really arn't doing anything to stop condensation... we've been over this time and time again, gentelmen. drastic temperature drops do not work!

You can't say drastic temperature drops don't work, when people have gotten chips colder than -200*C....

But, no, you can't ghetto rig a refridgerator to cool a computer. :)

Two words: Phase change.

Using a fridge or a freezer won't work, now matter how you try. Direct ducting an air conditioner to your case works, but you got to watch condensation. Phase change, if properly installed, allows for insane overclocking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom