GPO Settings Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

hrowinski

Baseband Member
Hi.
I've noticed that people on certain machines using XP cannot drag icons to the desktop. but they can right click and send to desktop as a shortcut.
They also cannot drag files into the D drive to copy them to CD.

I need to know if there is a GPO setting (server 2003) that could be preventing this. I had a look at properties for the CD drive thinking that there might be a security tab, but there wasnt one.

Thanks
Hermann

I believe there is, this I assume is a domain envirnoment right? Everyone is log to the 2003 server and AD is enable? You might want to check the OU the users account or computes are on, check the GPO setting for that OU, I don't know the exact setting since I'm not on any 2003 domain controller at the moment.

If this happens to all computer that authenicate with this 2003 server I would definitely check that.

Yes it is a domain. & using AD.
The desktop problem is happening to everyone.

Anychance when your next on a DC that you would know the exact GPO setting?
I've read and re-read all my settings and I dont know which one would be the setting to stop people from draging and dropping.

I'm sure about the exact setting, but you want to check the OU that the users account or computers are in. Check the GPO, the desktop setting should be in User Configuration/Administrative Template/Desktop

I'm not too sure about the CD problem. I'll look into that later on.

*EDIT*

You should download and install the GP manager console, it's much easier to find the exact setting being applied. Remember, if you install this you can not go back to the default GPO manager!

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/gpmc/default.mspx

have you tried start menu properties?

StartMenu.jpg

No I havent... Thanks I'll have a look at that. I only noticed this problem with some new Dell machines that I purchased.
I'll see if thats the problem and let you know

I would run the RSoP tool against a machine that is having the issue then you can see if there are any GPO's being applied to it. This will also show if there is a local policy set causing the problem. It may simply be as simple as Eric's solution though :) One can hope anyway.

I will try the Rsop tool.
I had a look in the customize start menu, & enable drag & drop was checked so I'm sure it is not that.

I have run rsop and here are the settings in place for desktop

desktop.jpg

As you can see not many settings. I have removed a few settings & cannot understand why it is not allow users to drag & drop to the desktop or a CD drive

The problem must be a GPO setting. I've taken the test user out of the OU and put it in another one without any GPO settings and The desktop works the way it should. Any ideas on anther setting that could be causing this. I've been looking at each setting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom