Dell Computer Won't Take Ram Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

frankd14321

Solid State Member
Hello All,

I am working on a Dell Computer it is a little old... but has a P-4 1.8ghz and 128PC800 ram. It has 4 available slots and two are filled up with 64 chips.. I bought a 256PC800 chip and tried to add it and it gives me a memory error... The LED Ram light is green though... I than try different configurations and it still gives me the RAM Error message... Than I pulled the Battery and no luck.. I pulled the BIOS jumper and still no luck... I put it back to the original configuration and it booted no problem.. It's not the new ram chip though because I tried just swaping the two 64 chips and it wouldn't boot again. Any Ideas???

thank you!

-Frank

My first guess is that since it's a Dell it probably requires special memory. Dell desktops often times only work with certain memory modules that only a few places (including them) sell. Where'd you buy this memory, from Dell and is it guarenteed to work?

you're problem is that it's a dell...haha...

you add the 256 with the 64s still installed?... you may have a bad stick somewhere or maybe it is not compatible

If this is RDRAM (most Dells take this type of RAM), it has to be installed in pairs. Like 64+64, or 128+128, or in your case, a 256+256. You can't just use one stick of RAM alone, you have to use pairs of the same speed and amount of memory. The computer would have 64+64 right now.

Thanks Talldude.. I think your right... I am not to familiar with pc800 ram.. but I have noticed that is always comes in pairs... Thanks.

Thanks again man... I was getting mad lol.. i am a computer tech but never delt with this pc800 ram..

Not very familiar with it myself. But the pairs thing rung a bell, it does have to be installed it pairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom