Computer will not boot no matter what I do

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTalent

Baseband Member
Alright guys here is my story.

I come home from work one day after a thunder storm and my computer would not boot up. I have all my computer stuff hooked up to a 2 hour backup so I don't know if it still could of gotten through the surge/backup. Well after reading the forums for awhile I decided to try a few things to see if I could get it back in working order. At first when I would press the power button all of the fans including the cpu fan would spin and the leds on the fans would light up. They would continue to run but with no singal to the monitor or to the usb ports.

After much anger I striped my computer down to a barebones set up. (mobo, 1 stick of ram, hard drive) and I also reset the CMOS by taking out the battery and unplugging my PSU and switching it off then I held down the power button on my comp for a few secs to get the rest of the power out. Well after doing this, when i go to start my comp the cpu fan will spin for a split second and then stop. It sounds like the hard drive is trying to spool up but then dies. I also am not hearing any beeping from my mobo. I made sure the speaker connection was hooked up right by looking in my manual but it doesent show which way it needs to be facing. I have tried booting it with the speaker connection both ways and i still hear nothing.

So right now I am about to break my computer into 100 pieces to show it who is boss but I don't think that it is going to solve any of my problems. From what I have read, it sounds like my PSU has gone bad. It is the one that came with my comp and I know they are crap. Stores are closed for the night so I have to wait for tomorrow to get a replacement but If someone suggests something better to do that would be great. I would rather not have to spend money for no reason but I will if needed.

Thank you guys for taking time to help me with my problem and any input would be great. I can also give the specs of my comp and or take pics if anyone needs it. I will be checking this thread every 30 mins so please feel free to drop your 2cents.

a good way to test your PSU is by powering it on and seeing if the back fan is spinning...generally if it is not it is time to replace your PSU

Thanks for the tip kidwell, I just tried that and the fan won't move. Now it's time for me to get a new PSU and hope that it is the only problem. Thank you guys for your input and I will get back with your later to tell you if it worked.

Alright guys, I am about to go buy my new PSU but I don't really know what a quality brand is. Any suggestions before I waste money on a bad product?

the higher the watts the better as well as the amps under the +12v range if its over 15amps its ok.
this my sound kinda strange but the heavier the PS the more its durable.

before u buy the PS borrow a PS and check if ur PC even POST's because it might of been power surged after that storm u were talking about

I would borrow a PSU but all of my friends are off at college. I need to replace my PSU anyways and I have the funds to do so. Thank you for your advice on how to tell what a good PSU is but can you give me a brand name that I can keep an eye out for?

I'm not sure that the PSU is the problem.
The fact that it stars and stops right away only means it's protecting itslef and switches off - the same thing that any normal working PSU would do if tried to be 1) short-circuit on any lines (3.3v, 5v, 12v..) or overloaded on any lines.
Try to start your PSU when it's unplugged from computer<i.e mobo> and see if it works.
I know that modern PSU won't start by itslef w/o mobo, and will start when it receives signal from a mobo. I read a trick couple of days before here - to short green wire with black wire (don't remember for sure) I also haven't tested it.

The thing is , if anything is seriously wrong with your mobo/cpu... - the PSU will behave exactly as it behaves right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom