RAM problems in my new PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Lou

Baseband Member
Yeah, so my new PC is all kinds of messed up. Well.. we've pretty much isolated it to a problem with the memory. However, I've even stumped all the tech guys at my work. Recently while playing FEAR, my comp froze. When I went to restart it, Windows would freeze up when trying to boot. Well, we went through a few different things (changed the voltage, changed the FSB...) but nothing really helped. Well, finally we decided to check each stick of RAM individually. Each would work seperately once, but one wouldn't work if you rebooted. The other worked (and is working now...) by itself. We updated the Bios and everything, but I still haven't been able to find out what is wrong.

I have Corsair XMS TWIN2X2048 5400c4 (2x1gb)
and an ASUS P5B Deluxe/WiFI-AP

Please help me find a solution!

I couldn't find a "dual channel mode" option in my BIOS. Where would it be found, or what else might it be called? I should also note that for about 3 full days the computer ran perfectly with both sticks of RAM.

I can almost guarentee by your comment

Each would work seperately once, but one wouldn't work if you rebooted

You have a dead stick of RAM... or a stick going bad.

The stick you have in right now is the good one but run Memtest on it anyway, do it before you go to bed and let it run all night long, that way you will be sure. As for the other stick, if you can get your PC to boot up then run memtest on that one as well, if your PC won't boot with that stick, or constantly freezes... well, there's your problem, the RAM is bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom