Core 2 Duo Overclocking Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
To idiotec,

you wrote: "It sounds weird, but the P5B D has had problems with FSB settings in the 300 range. People have had OC's unstable at 350 or something, but then are fine at 401+.

I would try going straight to 401FSB with RAM 1:1 and see what happens.

Also make sure your RAM has plenty of juice. Most boards will not set vdimm correctly for PC6400 RAM as it usually takes like 2.0-2.1 vdimm.

You might want to give a little boost to NB/FSB voltage as well".

Thanks for the tip on the FSB value. To reach 2.8, I went with 7x400. I'm running Prime95 now. so far so good!

As fpr temps: I f-ing hate the various temp reading utils - so **** confusing, especially to a noob like me. PC Probe says my CPU is up to 61C during Prime95. Speedfan has worked for other MoBo's in the past, but says the temp is the about the same. Speedfan also says my CPU fan is spinng at 29560 rpm and that a diode is reading a -0 (how is zero minus?).

I have a Gatewatch with a temp probe attached to the top of the CNPS9500. it says 42.5C at full load. Of course I want to believe that reading. Any comments?

How about more accurate temp-reading utils. I realize that they are dependant upon the diodes, and Asus isn't know for accuracy.

Thanks again for your time. Much appreciated!

P.S. I will be getting another stick of Patriot 6400 next week after I get paid for a side-job i did, will that help with stability?

idk if it'll help w/ stability...unless you wanted to loosen all the timings since you'd have that extra gig for more speed.

you should try and just put a thermometer near the cpu while running prime. that might help. never done it before so i can't say. it's just an idea.

should i spend 20 dollars on a cheap cpu fan, or a few bucks for an extra intake fan? how good are the stock fans for the C2D's?

I don't about the temp readings. They have been weird across the board with the C2D's so far. It is tough to know what to believe.

Are you using stock HSF? If so, 61c dual prime at 1.4 vcore actually sounds about right TBH. Should be a safe temp. Keep in mind it would rarely ever get that hot during normal use.

Next step, bump that multi back up to x8 :D Mine runs 400x8 no problem 24/7 with 1.3625 vcore.

im ordering my conroe system TONIGHT, so exited! but i would like to know if i should get an extra intake fan or get a better HSF, i only have 20 dollars left.

spartan1121 said:
im ordering my conroe system TONIGHT, so exited! but i would like to know if i should get an extra intake fan or get a better HSF, i only have 20 dollars left.
Better HSF IMO.

idiotec said:
I don't about the temp readings. They have been weird across the board with the C2D's so far. It is tough to know what to believe.

Are you using stock HSF? If so, 61c dual prime at 1.4 vcore actually sounds about right TBH. Should be a safe temp. Keep in mind it would rarely ever get that hot during normal use.

Next step, bump that multi back up to x8 :D Mine runs 400x8 no problem 24/7 with 1.3625 vcore.

Okay, thanks. And yeah, I'll sit at 2800 for a few days and then try to get 3200 for 24/7 use.

Cooler is a CNPS9500

Also, if I leave all the BIOS settings the same and only lower the vCore, and Prime95 still crashes what would be a solution to that other than cranking up teh voltage? I would like to stay below 1.4V

spartan1121 said:
can i get a good one for that price? or am i gonna want to spend more to get better than stock?

you'd have to spend around $50 for something remotely worth the step up.

the stock HSF has been getting people plenty good OC's. I'd say just get AS5 and an intake fan.

your cpu should OC just fine w/ stock HSF and if you want to upgrade HSF later you're not really out any money...just the time to replace it and you'll know you didn't waste money on it when the stock one's have been doing fine for others. that's my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom