Bought video card..need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

supra_chubs04

Solid State Member
Currently building a gaming machine for current online fps's and mmorpg's. Been travelling since janurary 06, and having trouble deciding which socket and chipset to use. Reading on this forum i've noticed that am2 seems to provide little improvement to overall speed, but do the new nforce chipsets (570 and 590) have much of an effect over nforce4. I recently bought a 7900gt at futureshop(canada) and looking for a motherboard etc. this computer will be budget IE under 1k(or less) including monitor/ case / os. Obviously id like to make something future proof, so core 2 duo seems to be the answer. the downfall seems to be expensive ram, am myself not knowing anothing about multipliers and ram speeds. also, if i were to go 7900gt, e6300, say 2gb value ram, basic hd and optical, would an antec 450 psu have enough juice. thnks btw does anyone make 939's builds anymore:beard:

Well, Get a e6300 and a x1800xt and that would be good for your buget. get 2gb of ddr 200 677. You will save some money. And intels can't untilize the full speed of ddr2 800. Get a 150 board and a 80 psu. That will be most expensive becaue you want those two things good. Try to look for a moniter at bargin bins and such. Sometime you can get a steal at good will. This would be a much better build than if you go amd and nvida. You will also save money other than the board. You pick everything else . Sorry for no links, I am at school so I have to be fast.

thanks for the reply dude. im currently seeking out prices on ram. it seems ddr2-667 2g kits cost around 240-300 canadian, quite a bit over what i was budgeting at. I may go for a cheap 939 build to hold me over until the market stabilizes.

Well, don't go 939 because you won't beable to upgrade off that. If you can't afford everything right now just get the things that you can upgrade off of. get 1 stick of ddr2 677 and a lower costing video card. Maybe the x1700xtx or the x1600xtx. You won't be able to play all the best games but you will save some money. You can upgrade off that conroe build but the 939 you won't. Conroe's will be around longer than the 939. Much longer. Expect 2-3 years for them to get another big cpu jump. Just try to match your buget and if you can't I would just save a little more money and build yourself a dream pc.

alright thanks for the replies dudes. I'm currently looking @ a conroe compatible socket 775 GIGABYTE mobo, it seems to fairly limiting in what memory it can handle., can anyone recommend a more capable motherboard. thanks:beard:

ok just because intel core 2 duo is good dont mean 939 sucks if he gets a cheap 939 mobo he can upgrade cpu later on but if he gets a intel mobo he cant upgrade without getting a new mobo so for ur budget i highly recomend 939 dont worry ul pull out alot of fps with ur card and that system i have an average of 97 fps on fear all max and res at 1280 x1024 and aa set x4 and at x8 so dont worry in oblivion u get about 50 fps average inm teh wilderness all textures maxed and distance set to average keep in mind alot of botle necking is created by slow hard drives so try and fit in a rpator if u can and get a cheap amd cpu to start of

Well, the 939 is old news. I am not saying that he would have to get a new mobo if he want a differnt cpu because I know he would. I am just stating that the conroes are much rather advanced than any 939 chips and it would be wise to get the best cpu. He said himself he maybe wants to wait but the conroe will be more than enough for a long while. The 939 is old news comparded to the am2 and that has about a two year life spand. left. The conroes don't but the procecer is the best on the market and will be the best on the market for abou 6 months. Maybe less but the next amd chips are sayed to be more expensive than the conroes (rumors but I belive it). The conroe will be great for him. He may not get into the a big spash at first but he is making room to upgrade other than a cpu socket. That is it (not counting ram speed). Well, I will look for a motherborad for you. Are you going to overclock because gigybyte has some nice overclockers and afordable.

hey guys, thanks for the replies. yes, I think i may overclock in the distant future. anyways ive been checking out the gigabyte s3 class mobos, which seem to be quite affordable, and also teh ASRock 775DUAL-VSTA ATX LGA775 Conroe PT800 . Ive been finding some really gr8 combos deals on www.ncix.com , so to date ill probably go with a gigabyte 965 + e6300, not sure which ram possibly 1 gb stick of ddr2667.

btw how important is the amperage on 12v psu rail. my vid card states it requires 18 or possibly 20 amps(forget which) while the case and psu ( antec sonata 2) pushes 17a on its 12v rail. also, what chipsets do conroe mobos use, and how do they compare to nforce4/5.

:p o another thing,. can someone direct me to some information on bus speeds/ram speeds and multipliers, how they relate to oc'ing and what i should be looking 4. peace

I am in a similar situation to you. Here is what I am about to build:

Proc: Core 2 Duo E6300 Conroe 1.86Ghz 2MB shared L2 cache
RAM: G.SKILL (2 x 1GB) 240-pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 533 (PC2 4200) Dual Channel Kit
Mobo: ASUS P5NSLI Socket T (LGA 775) NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI Intel Edition ATX Intel Motherboard
Drive: West Dig Caviar SE WD2000JB 200GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive
DVD: SONY Black 16X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 16X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 24X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2M Cache IDE DVD Burner
I'm assuming you don't need a card since you bought a 7900gt, but I am using a Recertified eVGA 256-P2-N516-RX Geforce 7800GT 256MB card

Total: $700

This is without a Monitor, PSU/Case and OS. However, I am looking at this PSU/Case: Antec LifeStyle SONATA II $90

Bringing the total up to $790. You should be able to get a monitor and OS for $210 (or less, if you want to save). Anyways, hopefully this helped. I am still getting feedback for my build on these boards as I only got in to building my own computer 3 days ago, but I think all stuff I listed is legit and within your range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom