Question for you AMD people

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMDSCOrPiO

Daemon Poster
AMD has performance ratings, mine is 3500+, a single core with the performance rating of 3800+ vs. a dual core with the performance rating of 3800+, wouldnt this mean they have the same performance?

Erm, I don't quite get you. Can you elaborate further?

An AMD 64 3500 may indeed beat a 3800 Duel Core in something like, say, gaming (on a non multi-threaded game) by a frame per second or two, but in general the Duel Core will be far better because of its second core.

So on one core you're playing FEAR, with a performance slightly lower than that of a single core CPU, but with that other core you're also encoding some HD video. To do that with a single core you would have to do one at a time, meaning you'd be bored stiff watching the encoding progress bar. Duel core removes that problem.

The two really aren't comparable performance wise.

Hope that sorta answers your question.

Performance ratings work for comparing AMD to Intel, for the most part.

AMD 64 3700 = Pentium 4 3.7ghz

Or, thats how its basically meant to work. Core 2 Duo obviously changes things.

but.....................

a 3800+ single core and a 3800+ dual core would be the same as a Pentium 4 3.8ghz......

dont make sence to me.

What doesnt make sense? Dual core has two cores and multi-threaded apps can take advantage of them both.

Imagine a 3800 X2 is comparable to TWO 3.8ghz Pentiums (obviously it isn't, but you get the idea)

Basically, its like getting 2 car engines and bolting them together, although your top speed may not be any quicker, your acceleration will be, and the reason that a Dual Core may not be as quick as a single of the same PR is that it has more circuitry and other "stuff" to enable the Dual Core thang! Like the weight of the 2 engines in a car would also make its top speed slower although its Torque is doubled, not its HP.

Basically, my advice is, if you want just high performance for 1 application, for instance playing a game, thats it, then its gotta be a Single Core of a high PR. Although if you MSN, Vent, Firefox, FEAR, and BitTorrent all at the same time, then most definatly a Dual Core is better.

Ruan

Imagine a 3800 X2 is comparable to TWO 3.8ghz Pentiums (obviously it isn't, but you get the idea)

minor correction. the X2 3800+ is equivelant to 2x3200+ cores so more like 2x3.2ghz P4's. the 3800+ rating is gained from a set of benchmarks that AMD uses, most of which don't see a significant boost from multiple cores. if they saw no boost at all it would have a rating of 3200+ but because there is some boost it becomes 3800+ despite having 2x3200+ cores

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom