need slight advice on a RAM upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

X2Xtreme360

In Runtime
So many to choose from. I can't make up my mind so I need a little advice. I'll narrow it down a little bit so maybe (hopefully) someone has can help me out.

First off, of course I'm looking for a money saver, as usual, but I'm also not looking for that oh so powerful ULTRA or PNY ram from tigerdirect. I would prefer a quality brand name RAM such as Corsair, Kingston, OCZ, etc.

Second, I'm not a huge overclocker. I'll experiment occasionally and since (correct my if I'm wrong) all Intel CPU's have locked multipliers, when I do experiment I will raise the BUS when OCing my system. But for the most part, very little if any OCing.

Third, this is up to anyone to debate. But I'm looking for good memory timing and a CAS latency of 2.0 - 2.5. Buffered (unless it's not necessary or a good idea) and no ECC (I've heard it causes problems and slows things down a little.)

Last, I'm looking for PC3200 DDR RAM. 2 sticks with 1 gig capacity each (2 total) with dual channel compatability.

For the most part I'm asking fairly straight forward questions, but there's just too many to choose from and I want some personal opinions before I just go out and buy. Price range could be anywhere from $10-$200. Thanks.

I currenty like Crucial, and if you go here and use their memory advisor tool, it will show you what is suggested for your motherboard.

For the record, you never quite got around to asking a question, and it would help if you provide information about your computer specs when you do have a question.

you never quite got around to asking a question

sorry, I didn't put a question mark after it

I can't make up my mind so I need a little advice

I didn't really think the specs of my PC would matter too much other than I run PC3200. I have an ASUS p4p800-E Deluxe Mobo which is capable of running in dual channel and up to 4gigs of ram. I have an Intel Prescott P4 CPU S478 currently running at "stock" 3.0GHz with an 800MHz FSB. I have quite a large power supply so no worries there. Other than that if you need any more info, feel free to ask.

Thanks for that site it helps to narrow down my choices.

ASUS p4p800-e Deluxe
Intel P4 Prescott 3.0GHz/800MHz FSB/90nm/HT/S478
(currently)1 512 stick of cheap as tiger direct RAM
550W PSU
DVD/CD-RW Drives (*2)
1 Floppy Drive
Nvidia GeForce 6600 AGP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom