MSN Messenger

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would say the best thing i have done in this situation is to restart the PC. Sometimes i have to restart twice. After a restart or 2 Messenger resets itself to be able to run. dont knwo why this happens. Even after you try to repair it thru the Troubleshoot screen it dont work.

I know that WLM has some issues with Zone Alarm. Or so they say. but it is a applicaiton thing that it sometimes just needs to be reset.

Anyone have any other ideas? I've drawn a blank here and it always bugs me when I can't fix something.

I've tried different verions of messenger BTW, inv 7, 7.5, and Live all the same problem. It used to work though :confused:

Have you followed all of these steps?

Error 80048820: You cannot sign in to Windows Live Messenger
You may not be able to sign in because of a problem with Internet connectivity, your firewall (A security feature designed to help protect a computer from unauthorized external access. It can be hardware, software, or both) , date and time settings, proxy settings, security settings, or SSL security. The server may also be temporarily unavailable. To troubleshoot the problem:

Check your Internet connection

Confirm that you're connected to the Internet by visiting another website. If you can't connect to a website, contact your ISP (Internet service provider. A company that provides access to the Internet) or your local network administrator.

Check your firewall settings

1. Go to the MSN Web Messenger website.
2. Click Start MSN Web Messenger, and then try to sign in.

If you can sign in to MSN Web Messenger, but Windows Live Messenger still can't access the Internet, Windows Live Messenger may be blocked by a firewall. You may need to add MSNmsgr.exe to your firewall's allow list. See your firewall's documentation or website for more information on how to add MSNmsgr.exe to your allow list.

Check the date and time settings

1. On the taskbar, click Start, and then click Run.
2. Type control timedate.cpl, and then click OK.
3. In the Date and Time Properties dialog box, verify that the date and time settings on your computer are correct, and then click OK.

Check your Windows Internet Explorer proxy settings

If you can't connect to the Internet, verify that your proxy settings in Internet Explorer are correct. You may have to contact your ISP (Internet service provider. A company that provides access to the Internet) or network administrator to find out the correct settings. To clear your proxy settings in Internet Explorer, follow these steps:

1. Start Internet Explorer.
2. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
3. On the Connections tab, click LAN Settings.
4. Clear the Automatically detect settings check box.
5. Click OK, and then click OK again.

Clear your Messenger proxy settings

1. Start Messenger.
2. On the Tools menu, click Options.
3. Under Connection, click Advanced Settings.
4. Delete the entries under SOCKS.
5. Click OK, and then click OK again.

Check your Internet Explorer security settings

1. Start Internet Explorer.
2. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
3. Click the Advanced tab.
4. In the Security section, make sure the Check for server certificate revocation check box is cleared.
5. In the Security section, make sure the Use SSL 2.0 and the Use SSL 3.0 check boxes are selected.
6. Click OK.

Reregister the SSL security libraries

1. On the taskbar, click Start, and then click Run.

Type each of the following commands, and then press ENTER. After each command is executed successfully, you will receive a "DllRegisterServer succeeded" message. Wait until you receive this message before continuing to the next command.
* REGSVR32 softpub.dll
* REGSVR32 wintrust.dll
* REGSVR32 initpki.dll
* REGSVR32 Rsaenh.dll
* REGSVR32 Mssip32.dll
* REGSVR32 Cryptdlg.dll
* REGSVR32 Dssenh.dll
* REGSVR32 Gpkcsp.dll
* REGSVR32 Slbcsp.dll
* REGSVR32 Sccbase.dll

Check the Windows Live Messenger network status
The Windows Live Messenger service may be temporarily unavailable. Check the Windows Live Messenger network status on the Windows Live Messenger Network Status website, and try to sign in again later.

FlashDude said:
Have you followed all of these steps?

Yes, tried all these atleast twice. Can log into web messenger but still not ordinary messenger.

Any other suggestions?

i have had this problem before and i have a wireless router i solved this by going into my internet explorer>tools>internet options> connection tab>lan settings and ticked the automatically detect settings :) hope this helps

You could also try and set up a new network on your laptop again has this could also be wrong confi on your laptop

good luck:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom