Core 2 Duo Overclocking Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I misunderstanding something about overclocking the C2Ds?

They all use DDR2 667 by default. Which means if you use DDR2 800, the RAM doesn't get overclocked until you reach a 400MHz FSB. Or does DDR2 not work the same way as OCing the A64s? Why worry about how well your DDR2 800 overclocks, if you can overclock the CPU bloody far before you even touch the RAM?

And yes, I know you have to set a 1:1 divider (hehehehe, 1:1 divider :D) for it to work that way. But why would you want your RAM to run faster than the CPU. It's like lowering the multi on a A64, and increasing the FSB to get back to stock CPU speeds, just for the sake of overclocking the RAM. Yes, increased bandwidth is a bonus, but you might as well OC the CPU while you're increasing your bandwidth, for the optimal performance gain.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

vaderpro said:

yeah i saw those, they're just too far out of my budgets reach, i might go with the lesser model from g skill, but again, people are complaining about them. I think what im not getting through to people is i just wanna OC the cpu about as far as i can easily get it on stock cooling with now stability problems. I don't need to overclock my RAM that much, im more worried about the cpu. I wanna get fx-62 performance out of my e6300 if i can, but it's gonna be such a jump up from this 2.8 ghz pentium 4, and my 512mb of RAM that im going to be very satisfied no matter what.

spartan1121 said:
yeah i saw those, they're just too far out of my budgets reach, i might go with the lesser model from g skill, but again, people are complaining about them. I think what im not getting through to people is i just wanna OC the cpu about as far as i can easily get it on stock cooling with now stability problems. I don't need to overclock my RAM that much, im more worried about the cpu. I wanna get fx-62 performance out of my e6300 if i can, but it's gonna be such a jump up from this 2.8 ghz pentium 4, and my 512mb of RAM that im going to be very satisfied no matter what.

Ah..but overclocking your cpu automatically overclocks your ram as well, unless you run a memory divider...which affects performance...

so my RAM could hold me back potentially, if it dosn't overclock well? So is it just the RAM overclocking, or does the RAM need to be higher to perform better. Like say which will do better overclocked 667 or stock 800?

DDR2-800 will do better.

when you OC your processor you'll be upping the FSB to get the Ghz up. when you do that you also up the FSB on the ram.

so if your CPU is @ 6x333 (6 times @ 333FSB, which is also DDR2-667) then that gives you 2 Ghz.

you run it the same except @ DDR2-800 (400FSB) then you get 2.4Ghz.

then if you get the ram to OC up to the 1000Mhz that the CPU is capable of then you'll be maxing out the OC.

hope that helps. and i don't think the E6300 has an unlockable multiplier so that's about the only way to OC that i know of. my knowledge of OCing is fairly basic.

ok, that kinda helps out, my knowledge of overcloking is almost none. I think my motherboard only has options to up fsb to 333 though, so that may hold me back. I don't have the money for the DS3. i found RAM i can afourd with 4-4-4-15 timings, how well will that overclock? And so from what i can get the only way i can overclock my e6300 is by increasing fsb, and then further increasing the fsb on my RAM or is that wrong?

well with intel chips you pretty much need to keep the memory FSB and the cpu FSB the same or you'll run into problems...so yes.

and what mobo do you have anyways? i find it hard to believe that they hade conroe mobo's w/ only a 333FSB max.

and there might be other ways to OC, that's the only way i've done it so far.

and about the ram. if it's 4-4-4-12 it'd be better but you can never really tell just by the timings because the ram might be OC'd to that spec already and it could be down clocked to that too. (that's kinda what the G.Skill i was talking about earlier is like.)

so what's the ram because i'm sure you can loosen up timings and probably OC the ram a little but it really depends on what model and brand it is too.

spartan1121 said:
Well acording to a reviewer the FSB only goes to 333. Heres the MoBo and RAM i have picked out

MoBo:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16813135022

RAM:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16820227139
Your really going to limit yourself with that mobo. A DS3 would only be $50 more and would give you much more OC capability.

I am sure you can find a better deal for some RAM, check beyond newegg.

With that board, the most you can get from the e6300 is going to be 2.33GHz. With a DS3 you have a very good chance of running it 24/7 at 2.8GHz or more.

Up to you ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom