Bootloaders and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ViperRider

Solid State Member
Hi, I have had Vista and XP dual booting on my machine for quite some time, when the other day my friend handed me and OSX86 DVD. OSX on a PC!! OH MY!! So I tried it out and I'm in the process of getting this to work. I have ran into a problem. I need to edit my boot.ini file, but I cant find it. I read up and it said that the reason most likely is that i have a boot loader or something installed which erases the boot.ini file. I don't remember specifically installing a boot loader, but when my computer does start up it asks do I want to start XP or Microsoft WIndows (Vista). Vista no longer exists because I wiped the drive that it was on. I beleive that "boot loader" or whatever it is came from the Windows Vista setup. I'm wondering how can I make that disappear or erase it? Hopefully freeing my boot.ini file, so I can get that OSX running. Thanks

Pop in your XP CD, go to recovery console, type fixmbr and fixboot

That's it!

*EDIT*

If you don't have an XP CD, create a bootable floppy.

you might need to run this command in the recovery console: Bootcfg /rebuild

Windows Vista has its own bootloader. If the fixboot and fixmbr doesnt work EasyBCD will remove it.
EasyBCD Download

That application will allow you to edit and or remove the Vista bootloader from your PC. It is small and easy to use.

I tried both of these, the fixboot and fixmbr, and the bootcfg rebuild. Now when I start the computer it doesn't go to the Window Boot Manager it just shows a screen asking do I want to load Windows XP or Windows Longhorn. Its making me angry!! I read some other boards and it says to delete some files on the C: drive, but I don't have any of those files.

Try the Easy BCD. that will remove all the files from the Vista boot loader. Also you can do a Start>Run>msconfig

When that comes up click the boot.ini tab and check all paths. That should tell you if you have a bunk startup entry.

Ok, I did the re-write thing in that program and it is still prompting me on startup. Maybe this will work. What should the boot.ini look like?

Mine looks like this

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS=""
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /FASTDETECT
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows Longhorn" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /FASTDETECT /USENEWLOADER

The Microsoft Windows Longhorn part can be removed. If memory serves me you can edit the Boot.ini from somewhere within the msconfig. Just highlight that and delete it. That is uncessary.

Also, you might want to get rid of the timer and just set XP as default so the boot.ini screen doesn't show up anymore.

This can also be done in Control Panel/System/Advanced/Startup

I think, but I'm not on a Windows XP machine right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom