Slave Drive - 20GB only showing as 2gb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disillusion

Daemon Poster
So, I have an IBM HDD that I put in my computer as a slave drive and it's only showing up as 2GB in Windows. The BIOS shows it as 20GB though. :confused:

I've tried all kinds of different slave and cable select settings.

Here are all the options available:

16 Heads - Device 0 (Master)
16 Heads - Device 1 (Slave)
16 Heads - Cable Select
16 Heads - Dev 0 Forcing Dev 1 Present

15 Heads - Device 0 (Master)
15 Heads - Device 1 (Slave)
15 Heads - Cable Select
15 Heads - Dev 0 Forcing Dev 1 Present

2GB Clip - Dev 0 (Master)
2GB Clip - Dev 1 (Slave)
2GB Clip - Cable Select
2GB Clip - Dev 0 Forcing Dev 1 Present

Auto Spin Disable - Device 0 (Master)
Auto Spin Disable - Device 1 (Slave)
Auto Spin Disable - Cable Select
Auto Spin Disable - Dev 0 Forcing Dev 1 Present

WTF do I pick?

I think that the partition that contain the 18Gb left is not created. Try to run FDISK from a bootdisk that'sfrom your OS. See if there's another partition or create one with the 18Gb left.

You'll want the jumper set to:

16 Heads - Device 1 (Slave) or 16 Heads - Cable Select.

If you've already made a partition on the drive, with the jumper set to 2GB limit, you may need to re-partition to obtain the remaining 18GB of space, after shifting the jumper.

Stupid question, you're not using FAT16 are you? because 2GB is the max partition size of FAT16

Go to control panel > administrative tools > computer management > disk management

Your disk drives will appear on the right with bars. Most likely there will be a 2gb section and an 18gb section. If so then right click the bars and format them.

IfYouHaveToAsk said:
Go to control panel > administrative tools > computer management > disk management

Your disk drives will appear on the right with bars. Most likely there will be a 2gb section and an 18gb section. If so then right click the bars and format them.
Exactly right. Man I wasn't even aware that Windows had such a tool. Thank you! :D

No problem - its nice to get a response knowing that my advice has worked :)

One thing - if that 20gb disk is old i wouldnt put too much precious data on there because it may be approaching the end of its life!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom