Sky+ to PC Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giles

In Runtime
How can i connect my Sky+ Box to a PC monitor.

The PC monitor has DVI and VGA input.

Thank you.

I did a google search on Sky+, and the first returned hit was a cable company in the UK, so I will assume you want to watch cable on your computer monitor...

Anyways, if the cable box supports DVI or VGA out, you could hook it directly to the monitor that way. Your other option would be to get a video card or TV tuner that has a coax input on it, and just split the coax cable coming off of the cable box, 1 cable to TV, the other to the computer. You will be able to watch tv (and record shows, depending on the product you get) on your computer monitor. Your computer will obviously have to be on for you to watch TV on it.

Here is an example of such a card.. Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-150. If you are going to want to record shows on your computer, I would suggest getting a card with a HARDWARE MPEG encoder on it. That way, when you record a show, the CPU will only be at 2-3% utilization, and you can still do other things on the computer while the show is recording, without worrying about the quality of the recording.

Hope that helps :)
-Zach

...If you want to be able to watch Sky on using your monitor, without having to boot up the PC, consider buying a VGA Scan Converter box / VGA Converter...

m16882sd.jpg

Many are available from various places on the Internet. Most are capable of converting signals from s-video, composite and coaxial inputs. You can also get some VGA converters with inbuilt tuners.

Different VGA scan converters support different resolutions, refresh rates, and may support either CRT or LCD displays, or both. So if you do look for one, read the specifications thoroughly.

Thanks alot for your help. what i was thinking was to use the monitor without the PC. Thanks i might look into the converter.

Has anyone used a pc monitor to watch TV through here?

Thanks for all your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom