Cooling fan fault? Or m/board?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacobsdad

Beta member
Last week I made the stupid mistake of blowing out my PC with compressed air to get rid of the dust. Unfortunatly in doing this I seem to have damaged the heatsink cooling fan (it's a Celeron D). So, I brought a new cooling fan and fitted it.

Now all that happens is that the cooling fan "pulses" (i.e. doesn't spin up at all and evey 5 or so seconds moves fractionally and stops).

Do you think I may have damaged my motherboard? Of maybe have another suspect fan?

Any advice would be greatly received.

How did you damage your motherboard with compressed air, I have gone in there at least 10 times in mine and never had trouble like this.

Take the heatsink off again and reseat the cpu. Reset the ram and video card as well then clear the cmos and/or pull the battery.

Test your fan in another computer, or put a new fan on temporarily, and hook the HSF to a different power lead on the board. see what the fan does then. When you used the compressed air did you do short bursts or did you continually spray? continual spray sometimes releases the CO2 in a condense form (almost frozen liquid) which may have had a reaction with the oil in the fans bearings.

Unfortunatly I don;t have another board to test the fan on, and my board doesn't have another socket for the fan.

I think I might have sent a voltage though the board when I ran the air into the fan (like a dynamo effect) but it's strange as the new fan does pulse, just doesn't run correctly.

wow, and as gutless as a celeron is why would you even bother to clean the dust out LOL :)

My sister has the family hammy down HP with a celeron, I have never opend the case on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom