Need to upgrade processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammytheman

In Runtime
Hey fellas I have amd 64 3500 since November 2004 and was looking to upgrade it something really good for the buck. What do u guys recommend? Should I wait until something better comes out? I hear x2 4400 is really nice.BTW I need it only for fast gaming!!!!!!!!!!

Gaming doesn't utilize dual-core technology very well at the moment. You're better off looking at an FX-series CPU. Those are the gaming CPUs. They run a little expensive, but they have excellent performance. First, however, you wan tto make sure that Athlon 64 3500+ is on a Socket 939 motherboard, and not the older Socket 754. You can check using a program called CPU-Z.

When you know for sure that your motherboard will support Socket 939 CPUs, here is a list of Athlon 64 FX processors:
VIA Newegg

The newest FXes, the FX-60 and FX-62 (AM2 only) are both dual core. So you'd be looking at an FX-57, which is pretty pointless. It would be worth it to get a new dual core and overclock it to single core speeds, or get a good AMD64 single core and wildly overclock it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom